Chains on AWD

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
fettster

Chains on AWD

Post by fettster » January 13th, 2017, 9:22 am

If chains are being required for highway travel does that translate to snow tires for all wheel drive vehicles, or what do most people do in this case?

Guy

Re: Chains on AWD

Post by Guy » January 13th, 2017, 9:36 am

Traction tires can count as chains if they have an "M + S" rating. These two letters or a graphic of a mountain & snowflake need to be on the tire.

That being said to be in full compliance with the law you are still supposed to have a pair of chains in the vehicle with you.
Last edited by Guy on January 13th, 2017, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

drm

Post by drm » January 13th, 2017, 1:32 pm

Which I think means they need to be studded?

Guy

Post by Guy » January 13th, 2017, 1:59 pm

drm wrote:Which I think means they need to be studded?
Doesn't have to be studded, here is the scoop:

https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/chain-laws.asp
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » January 13th, 2017, 6:11 pm

Conditional Closure: chains required on all vehicles, as seen this week on Portland highways, means just that: all vehicles. Studded tires do not count. 4x4's are not exempt. However I was on the highway before I knew about the closure (possibly before the closure went into effect based on the time of the first Twitter post), without chains, and I deemed it safest to say on the highway. I saw lots of people without chains but not anyone being ticketed.

drm

Post by drm » January 14th, 2017, 10:35 am

On my recent trip south I frequently ran into flashing sign that all vehicles over 10,000 GVW and those towing something needed chains. When heading north past Medford, they were flagging all vehicles to check and they waved me through with no chains. I suppose even worse (or more urban) conditions lead to all vehicles requiring chains. I guess that means chains are more effective than studs.

Charley

Post by Charley » January 14th, 2017, 12:54 pm

Just get chains. I learned to drive on snow in Iowa, where they salt and plow, and no one uses any kind of traction. Here, though, without the salting and plowing, I've used no traction (dangerous), snow tires (non-studded traction tires that help a lot up on Mt Hood but won't stop a slide on crummy Portland road ice), and chains.

Chains are the best, by far. I've drive all over town the last few days, and had so problems with my chained up Civic. Stopping and starting on a hill, even while turning sharply, is NOT a problem.

I've see so many vehicles of various kinds get stuck or lose control dangerously over the last few days. I cannot figure out why people think that they or their car are so good that they don't have to bother with chains. Seriously, there's a Les Schwab within two miles of every citizen of this fine town. Just go by and pick up some chains!

Seen anyone blocking a green light while they try to get their AWD whatever over a tiny hill? Don't be that guy.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Charley

Post by Charley » January 14th, 2017, 11:02 pm

Charley wrote:Just get chains. I learned to drive on snow in Iowa, where they salt and plow, and no one uses any kind of traction. Here, though, without the salting and plowing, I've used no traction (dangerous), snow tires (non-studded traction tires that help a lot up on Mt Hood but won't stop a slide on crummy Portland road ice), and chains.

Chains are the best, by far. I've drive all over town the last few days, and had so problems with my chained up Civic. Stopping and starting on a hill, even while turning sharply, is NOT a problem.

I've see so many vehicles of various kinds get stuck or lose control dangerously over the last few days. I cannot figure out why people think that they or their car are so good that they don't have to bother with chains. Seriously, there's a Les Schwab within two miles of every citizen of this fine town. Just go by and pick up some chains!

Seen anyone blocking a green light while they try to get their AWD whatever over a tiny hill? Don't be that guy.
I wasn't thinking about the AWD component when I wrote this. My bad. I have read that the newer Subarus don't have clearance for chains, and that, depending on the differential, an AWD vehicle might have to have chains on each wheel, or the vehicle will compensate for slipping on the unchained wheels, but robbing power from the chained wheels. Ugh. That's a bummer. Chains are so useful.

You could try the Auto Sock! It's a legal alternative to chains in Oregon, and probably wouldn't have the same clearance issues for the Subaru, and, with four of these socks, would work on AWD vehicles.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » January 15th, 2017, 9:05 am

I'm not sure about other AWD vehicles, but do not put chains on a Subaru. I had heard that, but called a Subaru dealer and spoke to a mechanic who confirmed not to do so. He said it wasn't because of clearance issues, but because of the transmission. Putting chains on can cause damage to the transmission and void your warranty.

If studded or non-studded snow tires are not enough, try Auto Socks or Spikes Spiders.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

jdemott

Post by jdemott » January 15th, 2017, 9:58 am

I'm not sure about other AWD vehicles, but do not put chains on a Subaru. I had heard that, but called a Subaru dealer and spoke to a mechanic who confirmed not to do so. He said it wasn't because of clearance issues, but because of the transmission. Putting chains on can cause damage to the transmission and void your warranty.
Probably the best thing to do is read the owner's manual for your particular vehicle. The manual for my 2015 Outback states that chains cannot be used because of "lack of clearance between the tires and vehicle body." It goes on to state that other traction devices such as spring chains (i.e. cable chains) may "be acceptable" if they are listed by the manufacturer as fitting the Subaru. If spring chains or other traction devices are used, they should be mounted on the front wheels only. It wouldn't surprise me if different models have different requirements. Obviously, a cable chain with a tightener doesn't require as much clearance as a true tire chain.

When I asked the dealer about chains on the Subaru, the answer was something like "nobody puts chains on a Subaru because the AWD is so good you can go anywhere." Typical dealer BS.