Chains on AWD

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Guy

Re: Chains on AWD

Post by Guy » January 15th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Born2BBrad wrote:I'm not sure about other AWD vehicles, but do not put chains on a Subaru. I had heard that, but called a Subaru dealer and spoke to a mechanic who confirmed not to do so. He said it wasn't because of clearance issues, but because of the transmission. Putting chains on can cause damage to the transmission and void your warranty.

If studded or non-studded snow tires are not enough, try Auto Socks or Spikes Spiders.
So Chiyoko & I recently joined the Subaru club and my owners manual says that I can use snow cables or any traction aid that meets S.A.E. Class S. I checked this with the dealer and they confirmed this and in fact sell these tire cables that meet these requirements for most Subaru models for about $100.00. The Owners manual also says that I only need to put two on the two front wheels.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Water

Post by Water » January 16th, 2017, 2:58 pm

That's good to know Guy, I've always thought it a little funny with the newer Subaru Outbacks not being chain compatible. Will look into that $100 option. Otherwise options are buy studded tires/snow tires, and store your summer ones somewhere... or be out of compliance with the law at times. A little goofy. And I'm not buying chains to have in my vehicle which I can't put on my vehicle. Those auto socks (hear they only last for a limited duration) are not cheap, if you're buying 4 of them!
Feel Free to Feel Free

prizefighter2112

Post by prizefighter2112 » January 18th, 2017, 2:02 pm

It really depends on the year and model. My ex-wife's 2016 Crosstrek does not have the clearance required for chains or cables. She would have to use an auto-sock. However, my cruddy little 99 Impreza rocked a pair of cable chains on the front tires all week and made me nearly impervious to traction issues. Made the whole thing a little boring, aside from all the other maniacs out there.

Guy

Post by Guy » January 18th, 2017, 3:44 pm

prizefighter2112 wrote:It really depends on the year and model. My ex-wife's 2016 Crosstrek does not have the clearance required for chains or cables. She would have to use an auto-sock. However, my cruddy little 99 Impreza rocked a pair of cable chains on the front tires all week and made me nearly impervious to traction issues. Made the whole thing a little boring, aside from all the other maniacs out there.
Just an FYI your wife's 2016 Crosstrek can use tire cables / spring chains or any other traction device that meets S.A.E. Class S.

From the 2016 Crosstrek Owners Manual:
Crosstrek 2016.jpg
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » January 18th, 2017, 6:04 pm

I was also super bummed to learn last week that I could not install chains on my '11 Subaru.

And after Googling did find essentially the same info Brad mentioned above, don't mess with chains if the manual says not to use them! All 4 wheels must work unimpeded, there is some leeway but you can't over do it ie: the traction light going off constantly, you'll #*^$ up your tranny for sure...

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » January 20th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Born2BBrad wrote:I'm not sure about other AWD vehicles, but do not put chains on a Subaru. I had heard that, but called a Subaru dealer and spoke to a mechanic who confirmed not to do so. He said it wasn't because of clearance issues, but because of the transmission. Putting chains on can cause damage to the transmission and void your warranty.

The owners manual for our 99 Subaru Forester says to put chains on the front wheels, which is what we do, and it works fine. Definitely better than just relying on the AWD alone. I don't know whether Subarus have changed since then.

On the other hand, a Les Schwab salesman told me once that it's dangerous to have chains on front wheels alone, on any car, because your front wheels then have more braking power than the rear, and if you hit the brakes hard, the car might spin. I haven't tested that theory. I always drive like a granny in snow.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 21st, 2017, 11:30 am

vibramhead wrote:On the other hand, a Les Schwab salesman told me once that it's dangerous to have chains on front wheels alone, on any car, because your front wheels then have more braking power than the rear,
My understanding, ever since taking Driver's Ed. (maybe longer?), is that the front wheels naturally do ~70% of the braking anyway. Inertia...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

prizefighter2112

Post by prizefighter2112 » January 23rd, 2017, 8:00 am

Guy wrote:
Just an FYI your wife's 2016 Crosstrek can use tire cables / spring chains or any other traction device that meets S.A.E. Class S.

From the 2016 Crosstrek Owners Manual:

Thanks Guy, just goes to show you can't rely on other people's reading comprehension!

bobcat

Post by bobcat » January 29th, 2017, 2:28 pm

First thing I do when I get a car is also get a pair of chains. I've used chains on an older Subaru and didn't have problems. My current AWD is a Honda CR-V. The last snowstorm (and one we had a few years ago), I had to put chains on just to get out of the hilly little pocket I live in. I had to help three Subarus coming up my street that got stuck. They had no clue and had been convinced of Subaru invincibility.

I've also used chains just to lay them down in front of or behind tires to get traction when stuck in a mud hole or a small but nasty patch of snow/ice. Good to have at all times.