Week Long Backpacking Trip @ End of June 2017

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Giles

Week Long Backpacking Trip @ End of June 2017

Post by Giles » January 25th, 2017, 1:46 pm

Hello Oregon Hikers!

My wife and I are planning a week long trip the last week of June. We are down to go pretty much anywhere in the Northwest, but possibly California as well. We are very comfortable with backpacking and are not worried about mileage.

I know that peak snow levels are usually around April, and it is difficult to predict snow levels, but I was hoping to get some good recommendations for trails that I can start planning for now. I want to have hopefully three options that I can then choose based on conditions when the time comes.

What are your favorite early(ish) season trips?

Thanks!

derwoodynck

Re: Week Long Backpacking Trip @ End of June 2017

Post by derwoodynck » January 25th, 2017, 6:27 pm

Last year we spent the last week of June in the Marble Mountain Wilderness in Norther California. Just a little snow left in some spots but not too many bugs and lots of flowers in bloom then. https://wanderingyuncks.wordpress.com/2 ... mmit-lake/

drm

Re: Week Long Backpacking Trip @ End of June 2017

Post by drm » January 26th, 2017, 8:52 am

1. Olympic National Park - snow melted in valley bottoms but who knows if it will pour.

2. Lake Chelan Lakeshore Trail. Much more reliably dry weather and definitely no snow at lakeshore by June, possible to go up ridges depending on snow level.

3. Hells Canyon via Freezeout Trailhead / Saddle. This could be an option if we have a massive snowpack as peak season for this route is usually April or May. I think that Hells Canyon is the wildest wilderness in the PNW, but a few trails are well maintained for the horse packs that go there.

None of these require advance permits so you can decide at the last minute. Keep in mind that while snowpack may be the main limiting factor, high water levels below the snow could make creek crossings problematic.