Multnomah Falls Summit Fail- Mountaineering skills??

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Chip Down

Re: Multnomah Falls Summit Fail- Mountaineering skills??

Post by Chip Down » January 22nd, 2017, 8:02 pm

Today was humbling. I didn't think I'd have any trouble with this, but I too was shut down between switchback 8 and 9.

As I was headed up, a party of three was coming down. It was maybe 9:00, so I was surprised to see that. They said it was more than they expected. I soon discovered what they meant.

It's not that I couldn't possibly do it, but it was just so fatiguing and spooky, kicking steps, cutting switchbacks where it was wise, scrambling up through sloppy wet snow. Mountaineering boots and crampons were in the car; I was wearing hiking boots and microspikes. I reached the point where I wasn't sure it was worth all that, just to get up a trail I've already been on (both summer and winter).

It got me thinking about two recent hikes where I was thinking I might do a loop and come down that trail. I wonder if that might have been a bit much. I think I could get down that trail if I absolutely had to, but after seeing it today, I'm glad I didn't find myself coming down that way without knowing what I was getting myself into.

Regarding self-arrest: Yeah, confirming what others have said, not as easy as it seems. I took a slide today (on a different hike). Jettisoned my treking pole, rolled over to face the slope, lost my unleashed axe. No big deal; my guard was down because exposure was minimal and there was brush to grab. If it had been a critical setting, my guard would have been up. But the point is still valid: self arrest isn't to be taken lightly. If you haven't practiced, you'll likely be surprised when you first attempt it in a real slide.