Oregon Trail & Campground Recommendations???

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
kashleyh5077

Oregon Trail & Campground Recommendations???

Post by kashleyh5077 » November 26th, 2016, 7:50 am

I'm driving from California to Washington in mid-May and I'll have four days to drive through Oregon. I've been looking at many of the National Forests in the central part of the state and there are so many that I'm overwhelmed with making the decision of where to stop and hike and camp along the way. I would love any suggestions people may have on routes, hikes, campgrounds, etc. I enjoy getting up early and hitting the trails and packing a lunch. I tend to enjoy two long hikes each day (maybe 6 to 8 miles RT each)... one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I figure with the driving, I'll probably drive in the morning each day and hike in the afternoon. I'd like to see waterfalls and mossy old growth forests that are super green. I don't mind getting wet and I like strenuous hikes and easy trails too. I enjoy non-aggressive wildlife viewing as well. I'd like to spend the night at a new campground each night while working my way north. I'll be in a Toyota Tacoma with a camper shell and raised bed platform in the back so I don't even really plan to pitch a tent at the campground unless the views are spectacular. Any ideas would be much appreciated and I know four days isn't enough so I'm hoping to hit the highlights and come back in the future and spend a week or more in my favorite areas. Thanks in advance!

justpeachy

Re: Oregon Trail & Campground Recommendations???

Post by justpeachy » November 26th, 2016, 8:06 am

kashleyh5077 wrote:I'd like to see waterfalls and mossy old growth forests that are super green.
May is the perfect time for that in Oregon! It's one of our greenest months when all the low-elevation trees and vegetation are freshly leafed-out after the wet winter (the mountains will still be inaccessible due to snow at that time).

For waterfalls, there are two easily-accessible areas with a high concentration of waterfalls. The first is the South Umpqua River corridor. Here is a brochure that'll give you an overview of that area: http://www.co.douglas.or.us/parks/broch ... _river.pdf According to Best Old-Growth Forest Hikes: Washington & Oregon Cascades, you'll see old growth on the trails to Wolf Creek Falls, Fall Creek Falls, Toketee Falls, and Watson Falls.

The second is the Columbia River Gorge. Here is an overview: http://www.columbiarivergorge.info/waterfalls.html And if you check out our Field Guide page for the Gorge you'll get a whole lot of additional information as well: http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide ... orge_Hikes

A word of warning, the Columbia Gorge is VERY busy and crowded on weekends, so if you plan to go there try to time your visit for a weekday.