Will Avalanche Valley east of Mt. Adams be Closed Next Year?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
trailmasterp

Re: Will Avalanche Valley east of Mt. Adams be Closed Next Y

Post by trailmasterp » May 25th, 2017, 2:45 pm

I'm just looking for an update on the open/closed status of Avalanche Valley for summer 2017. Does anyone have any recent information? I'm looking at going via Foggy Flat and Devil's Garden in early- to mid-August. Thanks!

drm

Post by drm » May 25th, 2017, 3:20 pm

trailmasterp wrote:I'm just looking for an update on the open/closed status of Avalanche Valley for summer 2017. Does anyone have any recent information? I'm looking at going via Foggy Flat and Devil's Garden in early- to mid-August. Thanks!
Should be open via that route (or any hiking route). This year only roads will be closed, which isn't really relevant to Avalanche Valley. The rules are that you are only allowed to camp at the established site next to the pond, a ways below the springs.

trailmasterp

Post by trailmasterp » May 27th, 2017, 8:45 am

Thanks for the info! I looked at some fire maps and it didn't look like it burned all the way up into Avalanche Valley, so I'm assuming the area is still a worthy destination. Sound right?

drm

Post by drm » May 29th, 2017, 6:03 am

trailmasterp wrote:Thanks for the info! I looked at some fire maps and it didn't look like it burned all the way up into Avalanche Valley, so I'm assuming the area is still a worthy destination. Sound right?
I've heard different stories as to whether the valley burned. I hope to go and check it out myself some time this summer.