Mt jefferson backpack

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
greenjello85

Mt jefferson backpack

Post by greenjello85 » July 28th, 2016, 1:44 pm

I'm going on my first backpack into the Mt Jefferson Wilderness Monday evening, Tuesday, and heading out Wednesday morning. I think I'll hike into the Jeff park and add some sidetrips to get to around 25-30 miles. Any suggestions on a route or good sidetrips? Also, I don't have camping reservations so I just have to be more than 250 feet from a lake?

I think I have a rough gameplan and it turns out there are tons of reservations available :) Which lake should I stay at?

Thanks!
Dan

BurnsideBob

Re: Mt jefferson backpack

Post by BurnsideBob » July 29th, 2016, 6:09 am

If you want company, Bays Lake or Scout Lake, as they are closest to the Whitewater trailhead most overnighters use to access Jeff Park.

If you want a lake with fewer campers, Russell Lake would be a good choice. Good water from springs N side of lake.

If you want a totally awesome unconventional campsite, there are several level stone tent rings at the foot of the Jefferson Park Glacier. There also is a nice camp site on the most used path half way from Jeff Park to the Jefferson Park Glacier. This one has some shade and shelter from winds, and won't have cold air drainage from the glacier at night. Neither of these has water, tho.

Under calm weather conditions all of Jefferson Park can pool with cold air coming off the glaciers at night. If you have trouble sleeping warm, you might look for a spot off the Jefferson Park floor.

Have a great trip!!!!
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

WiredHiker

Post by WiredHiker » July 29th, 2016, 8:28 am

Just a heads up we stayed in Jefferson Park last Sunday night 7/24 at Bays Lake site 15. The mosquitoes were out in force. We actually cut are trip short by a day. Make sure you have some bug spray and protection for the evenings when you aren't moving.

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » July 29th, 2016, 10:21 am

BurnsideBob wrote: If you want a totally awesome unconventional campsite, there are several level stone tent rings at the foot of the Jefferson Park Glacier. There also is a nice camp site on the most used path half way from Jeff Park to the Jefferson Park Glacier.
This led me to your trip report from 2014 about the off trail route to get to the glacier. The area near the glacier looks awesome! Im going to try camping up there (weather permitting, Tuesday afternoon looks a little iffy). I have a 3L bladder so water isn't an issue for me. Thanks for the tips!
WiredHiker wrote:Just a heads up we stayed in Jefferson Park last Sunday night 7/24 at Bays Lake site 15. The mosquitoes were out in force. We actually cut are trip short by a day. Make sure you have some bug spray and protection for the evenings when you aren't moving.
I'll pack the deet and head net. Thanks for the info!

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » July 30th, 2016, 6:53 pm

Water had an excellent trip report covering the area NE of the Jefferson Park Glacier. You could cross the ridge NE of Jeff Park Glacier's foot and tie into Water's route over the N end of the Whitewater Glacier and down to Jeff Park.

Crossing the ridge involves scrambling over small to medium volcanic talus. A memory making landscape.

Water's Trip Report:

http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... 10&t=20310
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.