Ruckel Creek vs Nesmith Point

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
MartinHikes

Ruckel Creek vs Nesmith Point

Post by MartinHikes » May 26th, 2016, 2:11 pm

Hi all,

Longtime lurker, first time poster. I want to do either Ruckel Creek or Nesmith Point this weekend. They look similar elevation-gain wise and length, but are they different qualitatively in experience as far as the condition of the trail itself? Scree and I are bitter enemies in terms of descents, and a trail that has tons of it is to be endured rather than enjoyed. Any other thoughts on the differences between the two trails (outside of the views)? Thanks!

Bosterson

Re: Ruckel Creek vs Nesmith Point

Post by Bosterson » May 26th, 2016, 2:20 pm

Ruckel Creek is worse going down due to lack of switchbacks at the top, and it has a lot of poison oak in the lower section at this time of year. Nesmith has more of a "view" at the top... sorta. But there at least is a definite top, whereas on Ruckel you just end up wandering around on the Benson until you decide to turn around. But you also could do a Ruckel Ridge - Ruckel Creek loop, whereas there are no good loop options for Nesmith that don't require heinous off trail scrambling and/or a long road walk.

I think many of us would agree that Ruckel Creek and Nesmith are two of the least enjoyable trails in the Gorge. :D
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

MartinHikes

Post by MartinHikes » May 26th, 2016, 3:58 pm

Thanks for the advice! I figured neither were going to be fun, but training hikes they are. I can't imagine anything worse than going down the Starvation Ridge trail on Defiance, so hopefully Nesmith Point won't be too bad!

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 29th, 2016, 5:29 pm

MartinHikes wrote:I can't imagine anything worse than going down the Starvation Ridge trail on Defiance, so hopefully Nesmith Point won't be too bad!
I just descended Starvation yesterday and thought it was charming.

Anyway, sorry I missed this thread, probably too late, but I think Ruckel Creek is awful. But then, so is Nesmith. Bosterson speaks the truth. They both have charm in spots though. Take the best of both and combine them into one trail, and it would almost be worthwhile.

Tip for selecting a training route: Anybody training for a south-side Hood climb should spend time on dog mountain. You know, get used to crowds. :lol:

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 29th, 2016, 6:56 pm

Chip Down wrote:
MartinHikes wrote:I can't imagine anything worse than going down the Starvation Ridge trail on Defiance, so hopefully Nesmith Point won't be too bad!
I just descended Starvation yesterday and thought it was charming.

Anyway, sorry I missed this thread, probably too late, but I think Ruckel Creek is awful. But then, so is Nesmith. Bosterson speaks the truth. They both have charm in spots though. Take the best of both and combine them into one trail, and it would almost be worthwhile.

Tip for selecting a training route: Anybody training for a south-side Hood climb should spend time on dog mountain. You know, get used to crowds. :lol:
Hmmm - for Starvation to be charming one must have to suspend the input from ones quads as they cry "enough". Actually, I like Ruckel Creek - at least its got a lot of switch backs to lessen the grade-though still not an easy hike. Are we lucky, or what, for having these wonderful and scenic quad burners in out backyard!

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

MartinHikes

Post by MartinHikes » May 30th, 2016, 9:12 pm

I did Nesmith Point and really enjoyed it--lots of flowers in bloom right now and the trail was fairly uncrowded. The lookout point left something to be desired, but the views on the way up more than made up for it.

Chip Down- I like Starvation going up. The ornaments on the trees are a nice touch and a steep trail is how I like ascending. But going down with the loose rock is unpleasant! It feels more like a skiing without the benefit of falling onto soft snow. Being near the edge of cliffs (especially on Table Mountain) can feel harrowing.