Hatfield (gorge traverse) option route?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
mjirving

Hatfield (gorge traverse) option route?

Post by mjirving » April 30th, 2016, 8:47 am

Hi All,

I've been studying some options on for the Hatfield Trail (Gorge Traverse) and am wondering if the green line in the Field Guide is a viable option? Is there trail or road the whole way? It appears that there is road up at the crest of the green path but I don't know about the connector trail. Any knowledge of that? Looks like it'd be a great option. If there's not a trail to connect it to Tanner there does seem to be one that connects it to Nesmith as I look on maps??

Thanks!
Mike (aka GoalTech)
Attachments
Hatfield Option.png
Hatfield Option.png (175.54 KiB) Viewed 1181 times
HatfieldSmall.jpg

retired jerry

Re: Hatfield (gorge traverse) option route?

Post by retired jerry » April 30th, 2016, 9:04 am

green line (just barely) goes into Bull Run watershed - prohibited entry

but, too bad, because you're just on the ridge, and if you just walk through you won't be polluting drinking water. And it saves that difficult crossing of Eagle Creek.

I've never been there but I've been close. I might check it out and if it's not too threatening do it regardless?

If you get caught, say you didn't know entry was prohibited? :)

mjirving

Post by mjirving » April 30th, 2016, 9:23 am

Thanks Jerry...makes sense. All I know is that along the PCT up there next to Bull Run there's a sign on practically every other tree talking about how it's prohibited to cross that border line...granted that's the PCT which is like I-5 in comparison. Looks like a cool route along that crest. There appears to be a dirt road, which perhaps is for Forest Service access to that area, but a car driving in the watershed seems like a lot more opportunity for contamination than a person...I know...the principal of the thing.

Mike

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » April 30th, 2016, 3:13 pm

You can, I believe (conceptually, hypothetically, whatever... :? ) work your way on still passable old roads (#103, #023) from the Moffett Creek trail (#430) near the reputed site of the Van Ahm Rim camp south to FR 2030 and then follow FR 2030 east to the PCT. Doing so would - as has been noted here and elsewhere - constitute an illegal entry into the Bullrun Watershed so, of course, I'm NOT suggesting you try this - as it may provoke a response by the Portland Bureau of Water...

Some of us do, however, harbor the hope that one day the BOW will stop freaking out about a poop or two high in the woods on the extreme eastern boundary of the watershed and allow the Mark O. Hatfield to follow that route - so the MOH can stay high and avoid those big ups & downs into and out of both Tanner and Eagle Creeks - and the sometimes tricky bridgeless crossings. One day - :roll: