Timberline to Cascade Locks in May?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Giles

Timberline to Cascade Locks in May?

Post by Giles » February 8th, 2016, 9:56 pm

Hello everyone,

My wife is graduating College at the end of April and we want to celebrate in the PNW in the best way we know how, a backpacking trip. Ideally, we are looking for a 5-6 day trip the first week of May. We have done a lot of hikes in the Gorge and want to do something a little different. What do you guys think about a trip from Timberline to Cascade Locks in May? Would there be too much snow at that time of the year (I know that it is a high snow year)? I thought it would be fun to do a variation of this as well, maybe Timberline ----> Wahtum Lake ----> Eagle Creek TH. Any thoughts?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for a 5 day(isn) trip that would be possible in May? I assume that the Three Sisters Wilderness would still be too snowy at that time of year, but I might be wrong?

Thanks for the information!

retired jerry

Re: Timberline to Cascade Locks in May?

Post by retired jerry » February 9th, 2016, 7:07 am

I usually do some trip in May up to Paradise Park. Last year, a low snow year, there was a lot of snow May 20 but it was doable. 2014, a normal year, there was still a lot of snow July 4. The PCT going below Paradise Park is really difficult because it traverses these canyons with steep slopes getting into and out of the canyon.

There'll probably be a trip report or two as the time approaches. There was a lot of snow early, but some of it is melting off and we don't seem to be in a snow accumulation phase. March could get a lot of snow.

You could go up Herman Creek and down Eagle Creek. Or Tanner Butte. Or as far up towards Mt Hood as you feel. There can be snow at upper elevations.

Something like Rogue River or the beach at the Olympic Peninsula has good hikes in early May.

Giles

Post by Giles » February 9th, 2016, 10:15 am

That is what I was thinking... I was also really interested in the Mark o. Hatfield trail but I can't really find a lot of definitive information on it. I have read many trip reports on here from people doing it, but it is hard to piece together.

I was thinking that the Olympics would be too rainy that time of year. I am not afraid of the rain..but I have done some multi-night trips in solid rain and, well, let's just say they were not my favorite trips!

We are actually from Grants Pass and have done the RR trail (great trail). Really looking to explore a new one if possible!

Thanks for the info!

Chazz

Post by Chazz » February 9th, 2016, 11:30 am

Would that be too soon for the Marbles or Trinity Alps?

Aimless

Post by Aimless » February 9th, 2016, 1:18 pm

The first week of May? If you started at Timberline Lodge, you'd be guaranteed to be hiking on snow all the way to Paradise park and somewhat beyond until the trail began to drop down to the Sandy R. If you started lower down, let's say the Ramona Falls TH, you'd probably still have snow patches as you climbed up to approach Bald Mountain and they'd continue intermittently as far as Wahtum Lake. Just how intermittent would depend on the snowpack and temps between now and May. When I checked a couple days ago, Mt Hood Forest had about 105% of normal snowpack.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 9th, 2016, 1:39 pm

I did Trinity Alps late May in 2014, a normal snow year. Some snow on shady slopes at the highest elevations. Early May - maybe

Olympics rain in May? Well, there can be rain in the Olympics at any time. Just check weather reports and go somewhere else if it's too rainy. Also check tide tables.

Red Buttes is clear earlier than Trinity Alps, but you're probably familiar with that.

drm

Post by drm » February 10th, 2016, 8:06 am

The two places that we recommend to people who want longer early-season snow-free trips are Hells Canyon and the Wenaha River Trail (and the already-mentioned Rogue River), both in remote parts of northeastern Oregon in the Grand Ronde Valley. Neither will give you the lush rainforest terrain you might think of as typical in the PNW, but that is why they are snowfree that time of year. For Hells Canyon, the Freezeout Saddle trail would be the place to hike from. Wahtum Lake normally has snowpack until early June unless we have a hot and dry spring.