Franklin Ridge access from the north?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
klossner

Franklin Ridge access from the north?

Post by klossner » January 26th, 2016, 6:27 pm

Yesterday I went for a wander around the Multnomah Plateau. I saw this sign just south of Nesika Lodge:
FranklinRidgeSign.jpg
Is there some way to get onto Franklin ridge from the north other than by raw bushwhack? The only trail I know of is the Franklin Ridge Trail, which AFAICT is accessed far to the south.

Guy

Re: Franklin Ridge access from the north?

Post by Guy » January 26th, 2016, 7:04 pm

Yes there is a connector trail from behind Nesika Lodge to the Franklin Ridge Trail
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

obera

Post by obera » January 27th, 2016, 8:25 am

it's one of those trails that is easy to pass quickly and not register as a trail - but once you know to look for it, will make perfect sense!!
oh-beer-ah

klossner

Post by klossner » January 27th, 2016, 5:12 pm

obera wrote:it's one of those trails that is easy to pass quickly and not register as a trail - but once you know to look for it, will make perfect sense!!
I've been there twice now and haven't found the trail, so any hints would be appreciated. ;)

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 27th, 2016, 6:21 pm

klossner wrote:
obera wrote:it's one of those trails that is easy to pass quickly and not register as a trail - but once you know to look for it, will make perfect sense!!
I've been there twice now and haven't found the trail, so any hints would be appreciated. ;)
Here's the map. As you can see, the connector trail branches off the Franklin Ridge Trail at the point that trail makes a sharp U-turn to the south. There is (or, at least, was) a marker there but I haven't hiked the trail for a few years so I can't vouch for it still being there. The trail is unmaintained but still a good trail as of my last hiking it.

Have fun!

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » February 9th, 2016, 11:37 am

The lower (north) part of the trail was fairly overgrown with prickly plants when I hiked it in 2014.

klossner

Post by klossner » April 2nd, 2016, 12:09 pm

Thanks! I used that map and found the connecting trail. It's in fine shape; perhaps the Trails Club maintains it. Apparently the sign whose photo I posted is meant to direct the hiker down the correct fork in the trail, not up the slope covered in devil's club.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » April 6th, 2016, 3:32 pm

You mean my Devil's Club bushwhack was unnecessary!? $#!^ :lol: I wonder if the well-maintained trail was there in 2014; I sure didn't see it, and nobody at the lodge thought to tell me there were two trails when I described my plans.