Wallowas: Route from Glacier Lake to Eagle Cap?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
RobinB

Wallowas: Route from Glacier Lake to Eagle Cap?

Post by RobinB » October 5th, 2015, 3:30 pm

Has anyone ever scrambled up that ridge that runs south from Glacier Pass to Eagle Cap?

I ask because, depending on weather, I'm headed up to the Wallowas this weekend, and I'd like to camp at Glacier Lake then climb Eagle Cap. I know the official ("official"?) trail leaves from Mirror Lake, but, looking at a topo, it seems like there might be a doable, more direct route.

In any case: thanks!

Don Nelsen

Re: Wallowas: Route from Glacier Lake to Eagle Cap?

Post by Don Nelsen » October 5th, 2015, 4:09 pm

RobinB wrote:Has anyone ever scrambled up that ridge that runs south from Glacier Pass to Eagle Cap?

I ask because, depending on weather, I'm headed up to the Wallowas this weekend, and I'd like to camp at Glacier Lake then climb Eagle Cap. I know the official ("official"?) trail leaves from Mirror Lake, but, looking at a topo, it seems like there might be a doable, more direct route.

In any case: thanks!
Here is a GPS derived map of a route I took in '04 when I did a bushwhack from Eagle Cap to Glacier Peak and then on to Glacier Pass. The green track is the off-trail part and I've noted the only slightly difficult parts of the route. Certainly far shorter than going all the way back to Mirror Lake! Possibly you could go directly west from Glacier Pass and then traverse around the SE side of Eagle Cap but I don't remember looking at that as a possibility when I was there.

Have fun!

dn

"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

RobinB

Post by RobinB » October 5th, 2015, 4:28 pm

Wow, that was quick - thanks so much Don!

miah66

Post by miah66 » October 8th, 2015, 2:24 pm

Wow, what are the odds? I was just there this past weekend, as well. :D Wish I knew, we could've carpooled and saved gas $$! :lol:

"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

bobcat

Post by bobcat » October 8th, 2015, 7:15 pm

I did the same route as Don a number of years ago, except I turned back on Glacier Peak because the snow was too deep but had melted out dangerously underneath. I came down between Glacier Lake and the little lake to the south of it.

RobinB

Post by RobinB » October 11th, 2015, 12:48 am

Thanks again for the advice! Don, your map was a lot of help. We ended up heading west on a pretty well-established trail from Glacier Pass, then contouring below Eagle Cap until an obvious saddle. I'll have to go back and try Glacier another time :)
miah66 wrote:Wow, what are the odds? I was just there this past weekend, as well. :D Wish I knew, we could've carpooled and saved gas $$! :lol:
Ha, sorry we missed you! Though I think our trips were a little staggered: we were just there Oct. 8-10.