January options that don't require snowshoes?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
IowaHaze

January options that don't require snowshoes?

Post by IowaHaze » November 3rd, 2017, 2:10 pm

I have a business trip to Portland in January and it would kill me not to spend some time in the wilderness. First time out there, and have always wanted to visit. Looking for day hikes, but ok with getting lodging near the hike (i.e. a long-ish drive from Portland is ok). The only all-season hikes I'm finding online are in the Gorge areas currently closed due to the fires.

Any suggestions to get my fix of wilderness in January (that would have a prayer of clear trails)? Thanks to any and all for your advice.

retired jerry

Re: January options that don't require snowshoes?

Post by retired jerry » November 3rd, 2017, 2:47 pm

Click on "field guide" at upper left.

Most everything in Portland and Valley and Oregon Coast should be accessible. Or Washington side of gorge. Or lower elevation southwest Washington.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » November 5th, 2017, 2:21 pm

This is predicted to be another La Nina winter which means snow in the Valley. 5-6 snow events are expected in Portland this winter. Last year, one of those events left icy roads in town Jan 11-17. That's your worst case.

Wilderness areas in Oregon are at higher elevations, with the exception of the Columbia River Gorge...which will remain closed due tot he Eagle Creek fire in September.

If you're just looking for random trails, then the Washington side of the Gorge or the Coast will be your best bets.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 5th, 2017, 4:34 pm

BigBear wrote:This is predicted to be another La Nina winter which means snow in the Valley. 5-6 snow events are expected in Portland this winter.
That's a ridiculous amount of specificity. :) We have no clue what this winter is gonna be like. No one predicted 8 snow/ice storms last year.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » November 6th, 2017, 11:08 am

the Washington side of the Gorge or the Coast will be your best bets

This is sound advice, but even the gorge can be very snowy & icy in January, depending of what weather systems are immediately passing through.

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » November 6th, 2017, 12:01 pm

If you define "wilderness" a little bit loosely you should head down to Silver Falls State Park... the only gear you may need are microspikes, depending on ice. But mostly it stays snow-free.

Little North Santiam River Trail may be a good option too.

Both of these destinations are east of Salem 45 minutes to an hour.

I second the coast as well, Neahkahnie Mountain Trail at Oswald West State Park or Tillamook Head trail at Ecola State Park would be good ones. Note that part of the trail at Ecola State Park is washed out, however.

Good Luck!