Preparing to climb Mt. Thielsen this July, any advice?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
JessSheets

Preparing to climb Mt. Thielsen this July, any advice?

Post by JessSheets » May 26th, 2015, 12:43 am

If anyone has any input, experience or general advice on climbing Mt. Thielsen, I'd love to hear it. I am planning on doing an over night trip there by myself at the end of July. I don't plan on climbing the pinnacle, just to the chicken ledge. Anyways, thought I'd see if anyone has done it before? Thoughts? I've been using this website as a resource:http://www.summitpost.org/mount-thielsen/150419

Thanks!

VanMarmot

Re: Preparing to climb Mt. Thielsen this July, any advice?

Post by VanMarmot » May 26th, 2015, 5:21 am

JessSheets wrote:If anyone has any input, experience or general advice on climbing Mt. Thielsen, I'd love to hear it. I am planning on doing an over night trip there by myself at the end of July. I don't plan on climbing the pinnacle, just to the chicken ledge. Anyways, thought I'd see if anyone has done it before? Thoughts? I've been using this website as a resource:http://www.summitpost.org/mount-thielsen/150419

Thanks!
Getting to the ledge is just a scramble up varying degrees of loose dirt and scree. This is a well-used trail and is easy to follow. Only the last 80' to the summit is "real" climbing and we found it to be pretty straightforward 3rd class with plenty of hand & footholds. But watch out for the weather - this peak seems to attract thunderstorms which can come on quite suddenly. We climbed it in August and 10 minutes after we were off the summit the peak got hit by bolts of lightning and quarter-sized hail! WooooHeeee!

If you don't want to climb Thielsen, Howlock Mtn to the N is an easy scramble whose summit provides some great views of the area. If you camp at Thielsen Creek Meadow, it's 6 mi RT on the PCT to Howlock.

JessSheets

Post by JessSheets » May 28th, 2015, 11:02 pm

Awesome! Great information! Thank you! I have been unable to find any trip reports of Mt. Thielsen that talked much about the trail itself. I did however read about the thunderstorms…scary. I'll have to keep on the weather diligently before I go. I did plan on camping near by so if worst comes to worst I'll check out something near by! Thanks again!

-Jess

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » May 29th, 2015, 7:41 am

The summit pinnacle is surprisingly un-exposed, and it isn't much harder (if at all) than the scree and scramble on the way up to "Chicken Ridge." (And the rocks on the summit block aren't in danger of slipping out from under your feet like the lower parts are.) So I think you should withhold judgement on whether or not to summit until you see it for yourself.

I posted a trip report on PortlandHikers: http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... =8&t=16436

the hiking nurse

Post by the hiking nurse » May 29th, 2015, 7:04 pm

The summit pinnacle can look a little overwhelming when you get to it, but it was not that bad, and I am so glad I did do it. Having said that, you have to watch the conditions and know your ability and comfort level then make your own decision. Roadtripmom climbed it last year and only went to chicken point and that was far enough for her. Do what you feel comfortable with and enjoy...Mt Thielsen is an amazing hike and you will enjoy it either way. Other choices is the area are Howlock mtn and Mt Bailey..both are also great hikes.