Rock of Ages Loop Hike

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
mjuliana

Rock of Ages Loop Hike

Post by mjuliana » April 17th, 2015, 9:04 am

Humm... was planning on doing this hike tomorrow but noticed the trail closure notice in field guide - "A landslide in late 2014 has blocked access to Triple Falls. As of February 21, 2015 trail 424 is closed at the junction with the Horsetail Falls trail #438." The FS site also has this: "4/7/2015: ALERT! There is a large slide which has taken out about 100 yards of the Oneonta #424 trail, making access to Triple Falls from the north impassable. The slide is about 1/4 mile south of the Oneonta/Horsetail Falls Junction."

I don't know the trails in the area. I assume that this means the loop as described in the FG is not doable? Any other options for loops that get us to the arch and across Devil's Backbone?
Thanks,
Mike J

Bosterson

Re: Rock of Ages Loop Hike

Post by Bosterson » April 17th, 2015, 9:23 am

mjuliana wrote: I don't know the trails in the area. I assume that this means the loop as described in the FG is not doable? Any other options for loops that get us to the arch and across Devil's Backbone?
Aside from simply going up there and then back down... no, not really. Unless you're willing to entertain longer/more annoying loops:

1) Mult Falls parking lot > 400 east > Oneonta > ROA, then back via Horsetail Creek > Bell Creek > Oeonta > Franklin Ridge > Multnomah Creek and back down past the falls. (Variations: from Bell Creek, continue to Larch Mountain for extra mileage. That's how I did this loop. Or, if you like unnecessary EG, skip Bell Creek, descend Horsetail Creek to Oneonta, then climb back up to Franklin Ridge. This would be super dumb. :D )

2) ROA > Nesmith. Descend Nesmith trail, then bushwhack back on the destroyed 400 (if you can locate it) to Dodson, walk the road to Ainsworth, take the 400 west back to Horsetail Falls TH. A car shuttle would make this substaintially more bearable.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » April 17th, 2015, 9:30 am

Actually, it appears that as of today, someone else has noted that you can get past Triple Falls once again: http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... 19&t=21487

Lurch

Post by Lurch » April 17th, 2015, 9:58 am

Please note that ROA really should be a one way trail. Go UP it, don't try and do the loop backwards and come down ROA. That's by far the most common reason for people losing the trail, or being injured up there, and it's not a fun place for that.

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » April 17th, 2015, 10:02 am

Lurch wrote:Please note that ROA really should be a one way trail. Go UP it, don't try and do the loop backwards and come down ROA. That's by far the most common reason for people losing the trail, or being injured up there, and it's not a fun place for that.
Have no desire to come down it. That's why I was looking for an alternate loop. I'll check to see if there anything official on the trail opening...
Thanks,
Mike J

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » April 17th, 2015, 10:07 am

Bosterson wrote:Actually, it appears that as of today, someone else has noted that you can get past Triple Falls once again: http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... 19&t=21487
Are you getting my PM's? They seem to be getting stuck in the outbox for some reason...
Thanks,
Mike J

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » April 17th, 2015, 10:28 am

mjuliana wrote: Are you getting my PM's? They seem to be getting stuck in the outbox for some reason...
Yep. If the trail at Triple Falls is reopened (or even just passable) again, that's definitely the best solution for a loop. The standard ROA > Horsetail > Oneonta loop is 10 mi and 3000 ft EG and feels harder cause ROA is so steep.

Edit: more confirmation the trail is open. I don't think you need to call the FS.
Lurch wrote:Please note that ROA really should be a one way trail. Go UP it, don't try and do the loop backwards and come down ROA. That's by far the most common reason for people losing the trail, or being injured up there, and it's not a fun place for that.
I feel like if you've just gone up to the Devil's Backbone, you could turn around and head back down without too much issue - which was all I meant, in case he really wanted to see the arch and backbone but didn't want to continue. That said, my assumption is that even though ROA is basically an official trail on par with Munra and Ruckel Ridge now, if injury/illness/lightning bolts from Zeus should strike, you should not be going up anything you cannot get back down. Regardless of where you are going, this is the basic agreement you make with yourself the second you step out of the house wearing hiking shoes. Caveat emptor.

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » April 17th, 2015, 10:38 am

Bosterson wrote:
mjuliana wrote: Are you getting my PM's? They seem to be getting stuck in the outbox for some reason...
Yep. If the trail at Triple Falls is reopened (or even just passable) again, that's definitely the best solution for a loop. The standard ROA > Horsetail > Oneonta loop is 10 mi and 3000 ft EG and feels harder cause ROA is so steep.
Mucho thanks! This looks like a great loop. Just curious - how does ROA stack up against Heartbreak Ridge?
Thanks,
Mike J

Guy

Post by Guy » April 17th, 2015, 11:21 am

mjuliana wrote: Mucho thanks! This looks like a great loop. Just curious - how does ROA stack up against Heartbreak Ridge?
I'd say they are pretty similar in effort needed though you do need your hands in a couple of places on ROA. you never need to use your hands on Heartbreak.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

-Q-

Post by -Q- » April 17th, 2015, 11:58 am

If you want to avoid the longer loop, a nice shorter loop can be made utilizing the ROA Trail, the Mindlindovich Trail, and the Russ Jolley Trail.
I probably spelled Mindlindovich wrong.
All are steep.