Wahtum Lake to Eagle Creek trail head---need some advice

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
JimSorensen

Wahtum Lake to Eagle Creek trail head---need some advice

Post by JimSorensen » April 13th, 2015, 4:12 pm

Wahtum Lake to Eagle Creek trail head

I grew up in Portland and have lived in Pennsylvania since the mid-1960's. I did my first Eagle Creek hike to 7 mile camp in 1955 and have done many, many since then including last summer to High Bridge, but have gone above 7 1/2 mile camp. This summer I'm planning an overnight downhill hike from Wahtum Lake to the Eagle Creek trail head which will include hikers in their 70's(like me) and hikers in their 40's(like my kids) who are traveling from the Northeast to do the hike with me and others. I would very much appreciate any tips, particularly re: the section from Wahtum to 7 1/2 mile camp. Also, probably the biggest question at this point: We would like to start fairly early in the morning of Day One at the Wahtum end and would like to hire a shuttle service to pick us up at the lower end where we would leave our vehicles and drop us off at Wahtum. Does anyone know of such a shuttle service I could contact? I've used such a service many times in connection with long drift trips on the Rogue, but am not familiar with such for this trip. Thanks very much!

Jim

retired jerry

Re: Wahtum Lake to Eagle Creek trail head---need some advice

Post by retired jerry » April 13th, 2015, 5:59 pm

maybe an airport shuttle service would do this?

http://www.ifly.com/portland-internatio ... t-shuttles

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » April 15th, 2015, 11:23 am

I've done this exact trip many times. It has been a rite of passage for my kids.

Shuttle might be tough (and expensive). Let us know if you find a commercial company that would do it for you. I've always had my wife or a friend drive us up to Wahtum after leaving a car at Eagle Creek. Drop the car, stop for breakfast in Hood River (bribe) and then go to the top. When you park at Eagle Creek, park out by the campground/hatchery. You will walk a little more at the end but you will have a much lower chance of your car getting broken into.

The section from Wahtum down to the Eagle Creek drainage is like a lot of hikes here in the NW - in the trees for the most part with limited views. Don't get me wrong - there are some views and lovely little waterfalls but this is not the highlight of the trip - the 2nd day is.

You will want to camp above 7 1/2 mile camp. There is a great spot that is situated just above a little waterfall. Once you get into the Eagle Creek drainage, the creek will be on your left. Go past a few campsites (all on the left of the trail) until you get into some high brush. Look for a cut-off going down a steep little hill to theleft. Walk down into the campsite and then to the creek. If you are at the right spot, you will be standing on the creek just above about a 6 ft waterfall. Great spot. Here's what it will look like:

Here are some links to more photos from past trips:
http://www.mikejulianaphotography.com/F ... gle-Creek/
http://www.mikejulianaphotography.com/F ... Backpacki/

Have fun!
Thanks,
Mike J

JimSorensen

Post by JimSorensen » April 15th, 2015, 1:33 pm

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the great reply and sensational photos---much appreciated---we can't wait to hit the trail. A couple other questions: When I was hiking the lower 7 miles often as a kid in the mid-1950's, I always fished, mostly between 7 and 7 1/2 mile camps and at the base of Twister Falls. I'm guess that is now probably mostly a great memory rather than a current opportunity due to the big increase in the numbers who are enjoying the area? Second, I'm assuming we should bring the means to purify water along with us(not because of known water purity issues, but just because that's standard protocol today)? Again thanks for your post and pics.
Best,
Jim

artic

Post by artic » April 15th, 2015, 6:21 pm

Jim,

I would recommend purifying. I had girgardia just once and that was enough. I use a Sawyer mini filter. Cheap ($24) and small/light.

-bruce

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » April 16th, 2015, 9:03 am

JimSorensen wrote:Hi Mike,
Thanks for the great reply and sensational photos---much appreciated---we can't wait to hit the trail. A couple other questions: When I was hiking the lower 7 miles often as a kid in the mid-1950's, I always fished, mostly between 7 and 7 1/2 mile camps and at the base of Twister Falls. I'm guess that is now probably mostly a great memory rather than a current opportunity due to the big increase in the numbers who are enjoying the area? Second, I'm assuming we should bring the means to purify water along with us(not because of known water purity issues, but just because that's standard protocol today)? Again thanks for your post and pics.
Best,
Jim
Fishing is awesome in that section of the creek. I always take my 3-wt fly rod and have a blast. Fish aren't big but they are eager as there is not much food in the creek. Just find the deeper pools and you'll find fish. Another good place to fish is right below low bridge. There's a really deep pool there and I can usually coax some bigger fish out of there. Fishing pressure up high is surprising light. I've only ever seen one other person fishing. Most are just hiking...

I wouldn't think of NOT purifying or filtering the water. Just way too many people to not. Enjoy the trip.
Thanks,
Mike J