Total Solar Eclipse, 21-Aug-2017

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
fetch

Re: Total Solar Eclipse, 21-Aug-2017

Post by fetch » February 25th, 2017, 2:18 pm

I get this forum is crawled/scraped/mined/whatever.

As such, I guess my question is if the consensus is to eschew all points west of Madras? Is there a general feeling that there's going to be a lot of people willing to take on the longer/harder hikes (whether prepared for them or not is a discussion in and of itself...) in the misguided idea of getting away from the Herds, only to create their own baby herds?

I don't mind a couple-few dozen like minded folks ending up at a same normally remote location since it is a special occasion. But hundreds? Not so much.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 11th, 2017, 8:06 pm

Oh look, a couple of rooms have opened up... one in Lincoln City and one in Bend:

Moral of the story: if you live (or own property) anywhere near the totality path, get yourself listed on Airbnb.com and grab that windfall. :)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 12th, 2017, 6:09 am

The eclipse is about 10:15 AM. Probably wise to get somewhere an hour earlier?

If you stayed overnight an hour away, out of the eclipse zone, there'd be plenty of time.

I remember, when was it 1979?, I drove to The Dalles and pulled off the road somewhere, there were crowds of people.

More important than a place to stay would be to find a viewing location. With a good view in all directions.

Even in August it can be cloudy. Check weather reports and find a clear area. Be prepared to go east or west of Cascades.

Maybe PCT north of Santiam Pass?

pcg

Post by pcg » March 12th, 2017, 6:41 am

Keep car clouting in mind when planning your viewing location because you can bet your bottom dollar that there are people right now that are planning their location based on where they can do the most damage while people are distracted.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » March 13th, 2017, 4:28 pm

retired jerry wrote:The eclipse is about 10:15 AM. Probably wise to get somewhere an hour earlier?

If you stayed overnight an hour away, out of the eclipse zone, there'd be plenty of time.

I remember, when was it 1979?, I drove to The Dalles and pulled off the road somewhere, there were crowds of people.

More important than a place to stay would be to find a viewing location. With a good view in all directions.

Even in August it can be cloudy. Check weather reports and find a clear area. Be prepared to go east or west of Cascades.

Maybe PCT north of Santiam Pass?
You will be lucky if traffic is moving at all. I'd lean towards being where you want to be much much earlier than that. Especially if it involves driving on forest service roads.

Guy

Post by Guy » March 13th, 2017, 4:42 pm

pdxgene wrote: You will be lucky if traffic is moving at all. I'd lean towards being where you want to be much much earlier than that. Especially if it involves driving on forest service roads.
Agreed! my plan is to be parked on the side of a road somewhere by Sunday Morning then tailgate party until Eclipse time :)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 13th, 2017, 5:01 pm

Guy wrote:
pdxgene wrote: You will be lucky if traffic is moving at all. I'd lean towards being where you want to be much much earlier than that. Especially if it involves driving on forest service roads.
Agreed! my plan is to be parked on the side of a road somewhere by Sunday Morning then tailgate party until Eclipse time :)
No kidding. I think I'm gonna try to get situated by Saturday evening.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » March 15th, 2017, 11:08 pm

Is anyone planning on viewing from the Painted Hills? I imagine that is a, if not the prime spot, but I cannot find information about an organized viewing party and if its first come first entry, reserved, or something else.

I guess a lot of you would prefer solitude to "Woodstock" but the latter could be quite an experience too I think.

miah66

Post by miah66 » March 16th, 2017, 10:23 am

"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 16th, 2017, 11:26 am

The first thing I thought of when I looked at the map was "Painted Hills!" And then I was like, oh hell no... 'cause it WILL be like Woodstock.