Total Solar Eclipse, 21-Aug-2017

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
retired jerry

Re: Total Solar Eclipse, 21-Aug-2017

Post by retired jerry » April 13th, 2017, 5:04 am

PCT - North from Santiam Pass

I'm betting there will be a lot of people there, but since the area is wide open, it'll be possible to find some solitude

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 13th, 2017, 6:05 am

retired jerry wrote:PCT - North from Santiam Pass

I'm betting there will be a lot of people there, but since the area is wide open, it'll be possible to find some solitude
Heh, you actually think that little parking lot will offer a place? (I wonder if OSP will allow overnight parking along the highway there?)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 13th, 2017, 6:16 am

there are sno parks and such within a mile

you could park along highway 22 and walk a few miles up to the Cascade crest

park a day or two ahead of time, hike around and end up on the crest

Limey

Post by Limey » April 13th, 2017, 9:37 am

pcg

Post by pcg » April 26th, 2017, 4:04 pm

WARNING...

Assuming that many people not familiar with Oregon, or the outdoors in general, will be searching this thread, it should be emphasized that if you are planning on heading to a remote location east of the mountains, you need to be prepared for the possibility of...

Heat.
Even though the desert is "high", some areas in the path of totality can be a real oven in August and you can find yourself a long ways from water and shade. For example, on August 4, 1998 it was 117 deg F at the Pelton Dam near Madras, which is in the path of totality. Heat exhaustion is no joke. Be prepared.

Hazardous wildlife.
Also one should be aware that rattlesnakes will be in shade during the heat, and wander out onto warm surfaces at night. This is their home, not yours. Be mindful, let them be, and you'll be fine.

Car clouting.
This will be a prime opportunity for car break-ins so keep that in mind.
Last edited by pcg on May 30th, 2017, 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Adohrn

Post by Adohrn » May 5th, 2017, 11:56 am

Anyone thinking of Ollie Butte that appears to be out. It's on the warm springs reservation, and it appears for the eclipse they are restricting it to only tribal members or people accompanied by them. Called up and asked today. You can be on the Pct, as normal but can't go randomly off trail while in the reservation.

Thinking of buying one of those apps that tell you exactly where the sun or the moon will be during the day. No real experience here so any advice would be appreciated. There appear to be lots of them. Here is a link with a quick breakdown for those who don't know what I'am talking about.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/havecamera ... ent=safari

jkokbaker

Post by jkokbaker » June 4th, 2017, 11:16 am

I am going to be in Jefferson Park for the eclipse. Should I arrive in Jefferson Park area the Sunday night prior or would getting there a few days sooner be better. I was thinking of waking up Monday morning and hiking up to Park Ridge. Will Park Ridge give a good view both west and east? I have been up there once but do not remember. If I arrive on Sunday I am planning on hiking from Santiam Pass to Olallie Lake, having my car waiting for me at Olallie Lake.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » June 4th, 2017, 11:31 am

I predict that there will be more hikers attempting to camp in Jefferson Park on the Sunday night before the eclipse than there will be legal campsites to hold them. :(

Most likely the Forest Service will send one or more rangers up there in an effort to contain the damage, referee disputes over camping areas and generally limit the mayhem. Under the circumstances, I'd avoid Jeff Park, but if I were determined to camp there, I'd arrive several days early, then expect a lot of visitors to my site. Either that or I'd find a bivy spot up the mountain, well away from the lakes and meadows, and bring my water up there with me. Good luck.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 4th, 2017, 11:43 am

The eclipse is Monday morning

I bet Sunday will be a total mob scene. This is getting hyped all over.

Maybe get to trailhead Saturday and get to the vicinity of viewing spot.

Sunday identify viewing spot and nearby camp spot.

Park Ridge might be good just looking at topo map. Maybe find a local summit. The sun will be a little south of due east, maybe 20 degrees from horizon, so you want to find a spot you can see that. And see all the territory east, south, and west

I was thinking maybe the PCT north of Santiam Pass. Find a place where you can get up on the Cascades crest. Like around Martin Lake or Summit Lake.

jkokbaker

Post by jkokbaker » June 4th, 2017, 12:24 pm

Looking at some maps and photos online it looks like Carl Lake and the ridge just above near the PCT have good views both south and north to Mt Jefferson. It should not be as crowded as the Jefferson Park. Not as close to the center line of totality but still well within the path.