Total Solar Eclipse, 21-Aug-2017

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
eg83

Re: Total Solar Eclipse, 21-Aug-2017

Post by eg83 » August 7th, 2017, 7:17 pm

I had 3 day obsidian wilderness permits and was quite excited until I realized its not in totality. :?

The road in and out to painted hills is a small gravel road not suited for heavy traffic, along with the clusterf*cks surrounding the limited camping areas will lead to some major headaches. Could be a good place to bike into at night.

Im looking at a car camping area on the john day , just hoping its not 110degrees.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 7th, 2017, 7:40 pm

neilsonw wrote:I think he just meant that the Painted Hills unit only has one access road--no outlet.
To the Unit itself, yes, but the Twickenham-Bridge Creek Cutoff Road means that Burnt Ranch Road isn't a dead end.

Either way, I'd avoid the Painted Hills like the plague.

drm

Post by drm » August 8th, 2017, 5:40 am

Early freak-out: TV weather guy last night said forecast is for rain on Aug 21. Since when do they talk about forecasts two weeks out? But he said that included Madras.

Also, I was told that Burnt Ranch Road would be closed for the eclipse: call ahead.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 8th, 2017, 6:44 am

Aug 21 will be the 66th day without rain. A bit short of the 71 day record if there's no rain til then.

That would be a bit weird...

Forecasts 2 weeks (or 10 days) out aren't very accurate, it will probably change

drm

Post by drm » August 8th, 2017, 8:46 am

retired jerry wrote:Aug 21 will be the 66th day without rain. A bit short of the 71 day record if there's no rain til then.
Sorry for your record Jerry, but rain looks pretty likely for next Monday or Tuesday. I heard it could even be a "soaking" rain in Portland. That would leave us with the third longest "no measurable" streak.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 8th, 2017, 9:19 am

oh no, so close...

weather.gov says slight chance for Sunday and Monday. Maybe just a trace? Forecast out that far is inaccurate

jkokbaker

Post by jkokbaker » August 8th, 2017, 9:49 am

I had plans on Jefferson Park for the eclipse. I am now thinking Strawberry Wilderness instead. I have never been to the area but live in Bend so its only 3-4 hours away. What is a good guess on when the trailhead parking lots will be full? I can show early, Thursday or Friday, will that be early enough? I know there are a few different trailhead parking lots, which trailhead has the largest parking area?

drm

Post by drm » August 8th, 2017, 12:39 pm

retired jerry wrote:oh no, so close...

weather.gov says slight chance for Sunday and Monday. Maybe just a trace? Forecast out that far is inaccurate
Weather underground now says 50% chance on Sunday, but generally the chance seems to be declining as it gets closer. Maybe we can get a soaker everywhere but the airport, and then you can still have your record.

As to the Strawberry Wilderness, I think much of it has burned in recent years, but not the area right around Strawberry Lake. I don't know the size of other parking lots but if you're willing and able to get there that early, you can probably get a spot. Just expect lots of close by friends when Monday arrives. They might even be sharing your tent with you!

neilsonw

Post by neilsonw » August 8th, 2017, 2:13 pm

What are you guys' thoughts about the Elkhorns, I imagine they'll be pretty popular but would it be too late to drive to a trailhead from Baker City on Sunday morning?

drm

Post by drm » August 9th, 2017, 5:07 am

neilsonw wrote:would it be too late to drive to a trailhead from Baker City on Sunday morning?
If you're not getting a response, it's because nobody knows. It's not like there is any precedent for this event so locals have no more idea than anybody else exactly how bad it will be. With all the forecasts for traffic armageddon, I wonder if more Oregonians are just going to sit tight. Although I'm planning to drive south Sunday, I'm also going to watch the road reports and if it is really bad, I can cancel or change plans. They are even trucking in extra cell phone towers, so they are really trying to be ready, but we just don't know.

But note that since arrivals will be spread over many days, it is the post-eclipse traffic - everybody will be heading out Monday afternoon, that most worries authorities. People planning to drive out of the zone Monday afternoon should be prepared to get stuck. Fill your gas tank ahead of time and take extra water. Don't count on local stores in small towns being well-stocked, or not having lines around the block. I am planning to take a long route home and head east on state highways rather than use US 26 or (1)97, and then hope that I84 is not unreasonable. And above all, pack patience. Take whatever happens in stride, and if you do get stuck, just enjoy the company.