Total Solar Eclipse, 21-Aug-2017

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
texasbb

Re: Total Solar Eclipse, 21-Aug-2017

Post by texasbb » August 9th, 2017, 7:22 am

I'll be in the Wind Rivers, somewhere on the east side of the divide. Not worried about traffic. :)

drm

Post by drm » August 9th, 2017, 8:35 am

texasbb wrote:I'll be in the Wind Rivers, somewhere on the east side of the divide.
I once considered that. If I remember, the path of totality crosses the northern tip of the range only. But I did a long road trip last month.
texasbb wrote:Not worried about traffic. :)
Hah. Where do you think half of Denver will be? :lol:

Oh, and good luck with the t-storms. Or maybe you're just going backpacking in the southern Winds and don't care about the eclipse.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » August 9th, 2017, 10:46 am

After getting a taste (literally) of the thick smoke haze that blanketed NE Oregon from Pendleton to Hermiston on Monday afternoon as I drove home from the slightly-less-smoky Wallowas, and noticing that the sun was nothing more than a very bright smudge in the sky for a couple of hours, I couldn't help but think that a lot of solar-eclipse viewing plans may be cancelled at the last minute or that those who do drive long hours to get to their ideal viewing spot may find it so smoke-obscured that the trip was an exercise in futility. This fire season seems exceptionally bad already and likely to get worse. :|

neilsonw

Post by neilsonw » August 9th, 2017, 11:55 am

drm wrote:
neilsonw wrote:would it be too late to drive to a trailhead from Baker City on Sunday morning?
If you're not getting a response, it's because nobody knows. It's not like there is any precedent for this event so locals have no more idea than anybody else exactly how bad it will be. With all the forecasts for traffic armageddon, I wonder if more Oregonians are just going to sit tight. Although I'm planning to drive south Sunday, I'm also going to watch the road reports and if it is really bad, I can cancel or change plans. They are even trucking in extra cell phone towers, so they are really trying to be ready, but we just don't know.

But note that since arrivals will be spread over many days, it is the post-eclipse traffic - everybody will be heading out Monday afternoon, that most worries authorities. People planning to drive out of the zone Monday afternoon should be prepared to get stuck. Fill your gas tank ahead of time and take extra water. Don't count on local stores in small towns being well-stocked, or not having lines around the block. I am planning to take a long route home and head east on state highways rather than use US 26 or (1)97, and then hope that I84 is not unreasonable. And above all, pack patience. Take whatever happens in stride, and if you do get stuck, just enjoy the company.
Yeah, I understand. Just didn't know how well known the range was to the average hiker. Whatever the case, we'll have plenty of food , water, and patience. I would hate to have somewhere critical to be Monday or Tuesday.

drm

Post by drm » August 9th, 2017, 1:11 pm

Aimless wrote:After getting a taste (literally) of the thick smoke haze that blanketed NE Oregon from Pendleton to Hermiston on Monday afternoon as I drove home from the slightly-less-smoky Wallowas, and noticing that the sun was nothing more than a very bright smudge in the sky for a couple of hours, I couldn't help but think that a lot of solar-eclipse viewing plans may be cancelled at the last minute or that those who do drive long hours to get to their ideal viewing spot may find it so smoke-obscured that the trip was an exercise in futility. This fire season seems exceptionally bad already and likely to get worse. :|
Unless the wind direction changes and the smoke gets blown a different direction. Somebody somewhere is likely to have a less than ideal experience, we just don't know where.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » August 9th, 2017, 3:16 pm

drm wrote:
texasbb wrote:I'll be in the Wind Rivers, somewhere on the east side of the divide.
I once considered that. If I remember, the path of totality crosses the northern tip of the range only. But I did a long road trip last month.
It crosses much more than the tip. Probably two-thirds of the range will see some totality. I plan to be somewhere between Angel Pass and Indian Pass, and will have about 1:45 of total occlusion. I figure the east side will be less crowded than the west. Titcomb Basin will probably be a rave.
drm wrote:
texasbb wrote:Not worried about traffic. :)
Hah. Where do you think half of Denver will be? :lol:
I do expect company in the hills, but I'll be there several days before and after the 21st, so I don't expect traffic to be a problem.
drm wrote: Oh, and good luck with the t-storms. Or maybe you're just going backpacking in the southern Winds and don't care about the eclipse.
The T-storms could foul the eclipse viewing, but that's a minor reason for being in the Winds. :)

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » August 9th, 2017, 3:17 pm

I'd try and avoid 26 and 22 the most coming back from the Cascades. 18 from Lincoln City will probably be a nightmare. I thought I had a good way home until I realized it trickled south into Molalla first and the 100% zone. That's probably something to avoid at all costs. It would put you at the back of the line heading out the other way.

Opal Creek has closed Jawbone Flats. Any hikers must use the Kopetski Bridge and stay on the far side of the route.

ChaosSigma0

Post by ChaosSigma0 » August 17th, 2017, 1:42 pm

For whoever was thinking of going into the Mt. Jefferson Wilderness area to see the eclipse, the area is closed due to the Whitewater fire currently happening in that area. No Jefferson park this time!

Source: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 553952.pdf

Happy trails!

BigBear

Post by BigBear » August 17th, 2017, 1:57 pm

The Oregonian had an interesting solar eclipse article this weekend. You can drive to Newport for 56% chance of seeing a 100% solar eclipse or stay in Portland and avoid the traffic for a 86% chance of seeing a 99% eclipse. Even if you were in Seattle, you would have a chance to see a 75% eclipse. I had not previously known that Portland was such a great viewing opportunity.

I forgot most of my statistics class regarding conditional probabilities, but I'm reasonably certain an 86% chance of 99% is better than a 56% chance of 100%. And given the 0% chance of being in 12 hours of traffic by staying at home, you'd be a damn fool to drive out of the metro area in hopes of getting that extra 1%.

Even with cloud cover, the internet coverage should be good enough...and you don't have to go down tot he corner store and get the 99-cent cardboard glasses.

Guy

Post by Guy » August 17th, 2017, 2:09 pm

BigBear wrote:The Oregonian had an interesting solar eclipse article this weekend. You can drive to Newport for 56% chance of seeing a 100% solar eclipse or stay in Portland and avoid the traffic for a 86% chance of seeing a 99% eclipse. Even if you were in Seattle, you would have a chance to see a 75% eclipse. I had not previously known that Portland was such a great viewing opportunity.
Yeah when I heard the Portland area was around 99% of totality I thought about not going anywhere but after some poking around the internet I learned that there is 10,000 times more light at 99% that at 100%. A very different experience apparently.

I'll be driving a long way in the hopes of scoring 100!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors