Tum Tum Mountain?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
HeavyWeightHiker

Tum Tum Mountain?

Post by HeavyWeightHiker » June 29th, 2008, 11:14 am

Does anyone have any information on Tum Tum Mountain in Clark County. I was looking at google earth and noticed this cool looking little mountain that had what appears to be a trail looping to the top....

I cannot find any information on it... HELP :)

Otto

Re: Tum Tum Mountain?

Post by Otto » June 29th, 2008, 4:53 pm

Tum tum mountain, I assume you are referring to, is the cone located just east of Chelatchie, by the old paper mill?

I have climbed that hill a couple of times. There is no trail, but there is extensive logging roads, since it was very recently clear cut logged. Still, kind of a fun little peak.

nyxlily

Post by nyxlily » June 29th, 2008, 6:25 pm

Okay, the name itself is worth a trip. Is it just me who thinks it's just way cool to tell people I've climbed Tum Tum Mountain?

Specific location would be appreciated!

Otto

Post by Otto » June 29th, 2008, 8:18 pm

Well, It's located here:

N 45.93420 W 122.33688

It's technically in Amboy, but I think the locals call that area Chelatchie... As you drive along Yale bridge road, you can't miss it. It's the tall cone that is obviously recently (a few years ago) clear cut. There is a logging road that spirals all around it to the top. Last time I was there, there was a locked gate on the road. I still don't know if it's on private property or not. No one has ever bothered me when I have been there. But then again, I never saw anyone either.

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » June 30th, 2008, 5:58 am

I'm with lily, the name is worth the trip. Kind of like the time I climbed Mount Tukuhnikivatz near Moab. I worked that name into conversation for weeks and had so much fun!

Where's this place, Tum Tum, again? Let's go!

OK, found it: listed as Tumtum Mountain at 611 feet, it's due south of Yale Lake near Chelatchie, Washington (follow 503 west to where it starts making right angles.) Looks plenty easy to get to; we might have to bag multiple mini-peaks in the area to feel justifiably superior. How about a combo-climb of several little peaks and a couple falls, too? Lucia, Moulton, Horseshoe, and Sunset Falls are all just south of there along (who would've guessed it?) NE Sunset Falls Road.

I'm already mentally planning to do this on Sunday--shall I post it as a hike invite?

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » June 30th, 2008, 7:56 am

I've driven by it a hundred times I think. It certainly is obvious as a nearly perfectly cone-shaped landmark. I was able to spot easily from air once too (wishing I was on the other side of the plane with the views of Rainier and St Helens instead!)

The one time I took a look I encountered the same private property sign and gate and must admit didn't spend much more time investigating alternatives. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask around in some of the local shops in Yacolt.

It appears you'd have a great view from up there, most notably you'd have a great shot of Mt St. Helens with the long finger of Yale Lake in the foreground

Here's photos from a few years back from Yale Lake:
TumTumYale02.jpg
TumTumYale.jpg