Home  •   Field Guide  •   Forums  •   Unread Posts  •   Maps  •   Find a Hike!  •    Register  •   Search  •  
Jump to:  
Login  | 

Board index » Trips » Trail Q&A

Post subject: Ideas for hike-in camping with 8 year old son
 Post Posted: May 1st, 2012, 5:37 am 

Posted originally on NWHikers, and a poster recommended I post here...

Last year I took my 7 yo on a little back packing trip 1.5 miles up from the mouth of the Deschuttes. We found a great little sandbar to camp on and he had safe access to swim in the river while I tossed some flies.

I'd like to take him somewhere new this year probably around late July or early August. I have time over memorial day weekend to check out a spot solo and I am looking for some suggestions

Ideally would be 1.5 - 2 mile hike in, riverside where he can swim and I can fish (fly or spin) and little or no people (for the sense of remoteness) and hopefully light on mosquitos. Within a 2-3 hour drive from Portland.

His mom and I are divorcing and I am looking to create some lasting memories.

Thanks for any ideas!

Might.

Post subject: Re: Ideas for hike-in camping with 8 year old son
 Post Posted: May 1st, 2012, 6:13 am 

IF you can avoid the weekend days, Marion Lake might be good for a look. Just over 2 miles in but a pretty easy wide trail with no exposure at all if that's a concern. I've heard weekends get crowded but have seen very few people on the weekdays when I've headed up there. Plenty of fish in the lake. Lake Ann is just a 1/4 - 1/2 mile or so away for more exploring. It's a big lake so even if a few more people show up you should still find plenty of solitude. There's rocks to climb on, plenty of swimming options.

Post Posted: May 1st, 2012, 1:09 pm 

@pdxgene. Thanks I'll check it out!

Post Posted: May 1st, 2012, 4:19 pm 

Lewis River or Siouxon Creek trail- easy hikes, lots of campsites, accessible now.

Last year we did our first family backpack with an 8 yo on the Divide Trail in Badger Creek Wilderness and camped at Oval Lake. I don't know about the fishing there, but other options in the area are Badger Creek and Badger Lake. We went in July and conditions were perfect- bugs gone, wildflowers awesome!

We have also hiked in( and dragged a wagon) multiple times to do family camping on Bayocean Spit. You need to bring in your own water- but if you pull a wagon up the beach, you can also bring in luxury items.

Board index » Trips » Trail Q&A