Suggestions needed: The "perfect" kids backpacking trip?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
jeffstatt

Suggestions needed: The "perfect" kids backpacking trip?

Post by jeffstatt » June 20th, 2008, 6:49 pm

Ok so here's the perfect kid's backpacking trip:

We hike in 2-3 miles to a perfect little spot on a lake. We make dinner have a small campfire and turn in for the night. The next morning we hike up to a great 360 degree view (4-6 round trip <1000 feet ). Come back, take a dip in the water, have dinner and sit out by the take counting shooting stars until we can't stay awake. Wake up the the next morning and hike out. Stop for a big tasty burger and milkshake on the way home.

The question is - WHERE do we go to do this?

I'd like to do this in the next 2-4 weeks (which means I might have to sacrifice the dip in the water :). And I don't mind driving upwards of three hours.

meana39

Re: Suggestions needed: The "perfect" kids backpacking trip?

Post by meana39 » June 20th, 2008, 9:26 pm

I don't know about the "perfect trip" but years (don't ask how many) ago, my sister and I took 6 boys around 13-14 year old up the back of the Soda Peaks Lake trail in the Gifford Pinchot Forest above Carson, Washington. There could still be snow there though at this time of year, although I couldn't find out from the forest service web site for sure, that trailhead isn't listed in the trails list.

There is a description of the hike here:

http://www.nwhiker.com/GPNFHike58.html

The lake is in a little bowl like area, and the boys caught a bucket of crayfish that we cooked for dinner, I imagine there are also fish in the lake. We had one of the worst thunderstorms I've ever been in over our heads that night too, scared us to death!

For a view the next day you could drive to the upper trailhead of the Observation Peak trail.
that hike is described here:

http://www.nwhiker.com/GPNFHike59.html

At 5.6 miles round trip it might be a bit much though after packing out camping gear, I felt Soda Peaks Lake was enough exercise, especially for "are we there yet" kids. At least those are the kids we took up there!
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » June 20th, 2008, 9:34 pm

Well if money isn't a real big concern (yeah right?) some of those llama treks in the Wallowas sound like fun. And you all wouldn't have to carry as much or worry about food. You could put it on your Portlandhikers Visa card?

BCJ

Post by BCJ » June 20th, 2008, 9:42 pm

It's a Portland cliche and it can be crowded, but Mirror Lake with a hop up to Tom, Dick & Harry Mountain is a pretty close fit to what you're looking for. June Lake, when it melts out, is also a pretty close match...that's where I took my daughter for her first overnight backpack when she was five months old. Pamelia Lake may be an option. Todd Lake probably won't be melted by then.

Woodhead

Post by Woodhead » June 20th, 2008, 10:12 pm

Hey Jeff I have two perfect hikes for you. The only draw back is the drive is farther than your wanting. I`ll tell you about them anyway. #1 is Shi Shi Beach about 3 miles in mostly rolling terrain, one little steep section as you go down to the beach about 100 yards. I don`t think you can find a more beutiful beach. # 2 is Hayes Lake in the Alpine Lakes wilderness about two miles in on the way to Robin Lakes its north of Cle Elum Wa. Should be snow free by now for sure. Its been awhile since I`ve been there, if your interested in either of these trips I can give you more specific details.

cfm

Post by cfm » June 21st, 2008, 7:06 am

I thought I already responded, but my message disappeared, so I'll try again and suggest my perennial favorite: Bayocean Spit.

OK, you won't do much swimming in the mighty Pacific, but you can wade on either side in the waves or the mudflats.

You do have to bring in all your water, and we usually drag wagons and bring luxury items:
goinghome.jpg
I assure you, the kids will have fun all day. Here's an extremely happy guy from Brooklyn playing an air guitar homage to the sunset.
Ivan.jpg
Idyllic campsite about 3 miles up the spit:
campsite.jpg

cfm

Post by cfm » June 21st, 2008, 7:12 am

OK after re-reading your specifications, I thought of one that fits pretty well: Memaloose Lake. The next day you can hike up to South Fork Mountain.

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » June 21st, 2008, 5:12 pm

I second memaloose lake. it sounds just right for what you want, and ive been there! last summer. its got some old growth forests on the way in, and the lake is very pretty. not an open summit, but there are paths that lead everywhere on top of south fork mountain. south fork mountain is accessed by another mile or so of steeper (yet still pretty easy) trail.

the drive is about two hours i think
Jamey Pyles

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » June 21st, 2008, 5:39 pm

Hyas Lake may be a no-go for a couple of weeks yet, judging from the reports I've been reading on nwhikers.net. I've been searching for a short overnight backpack in that area for the grandkids (who live in Seattle) next week. The Salmon LaSac road is open to the end, just barely, but there's lots of snow reported up there. The Scatter Creek ford on that road is reported to be 1 1/2 feet deep. Might be OK for your Isuzu but not for my little Toyota. Maybe in a couple of weeks.

Shi-Shi Beach is wonderful (I'm going back there July 6) but it's at least 8 hours' drive (5 hours from north Seattle). Bear canisters are required (raccoons). And it's National Park, so no dogs. Hysson will stay in Seattle with little "Bear" (only 3, so a bit too young to backpack) and his mommy.

The two possibilities I'm looking at for the grandkids next week are Thunder Creek (off the N. Cascades Highway) or Esmeralda Basin in the Teanaway. I'm not too sure about the snowmelt status of the latter. But the farther east you go in the Cascades, apparently the less snow and the more it has melted. Hyas Lake is quite close to the Cascade Crest, which is why it's still snowy.

I'd consider Bayocean; if you don't mind hauling in your water, it's a wonderful place! There are campsites on the bay side of the peninsula, too, if it's too windy. It's a nice flat beach, perfect for kids--no cliffs to fall off of and no steep drop-offs.

The big question for all of these, except Bayocean and Shi-Shi, is, will the snow be melted? Although if there isn't too much of it, places with snow will probably be less buggy than those that have completely melted out. I suspect it may be a banner mosquito year.

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » June 22nd, 2008, 2:36 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions! Memaloose Lake is one I had forgotten about. That hits just about all of them. Mirror Lake and TD&H is a great suggestion too - I've done Mirror Lake to death but circumstances have been such that I never made it to the top of TD&H. In either case it'll be brand new to my boys.

Another one I considered is driving to the top trailhead of Mt Defiance - camping on Warren and hiking up from there. I've never been to that upper trailhead so I'm not positive on the mileages. Of course, this one might be awhile before the road is opened.

I've also heard Pansey Lake and Bull of the Woods Mountain is good - but is the lake swimmable?