Have you been to Russian Wilderness? Route question

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
lisina

Have you been to Russian Wilderness? Route question

Post by lisina » June 18th, 2018, 1:27 pm

Hi folks, I'm considering a trip to the Russian this weekend - first time there. I'm contemplating the following route, most of which is off trail, and I'm wondering if anyway can confirm or deny its feasibility.

Start at Etna Summit trailhead > Ruffy Lakes > top of Etna Peak > camp in vicinity of peak > down past Meeks Meadow and ridge above north side of Smith Lake > PCT south > ridge above Taylor Lake > Upper Albert Lake > camp near lake > down ridge to Big Blue Lake > past Hogan Lake > trail to Taylor Lake trailhead > road walk back to Etna Summit trailhead

On Google Earth the navigation looks totally doable, but things always look different on the ground. Also unsure about distances...mileage doesn't look to be very much but mostly off-trail will slow things down - is this enough to mostly fill each day or not so much?

Any insights or opinions would be welcome!

VanMarmot

Re: Have you been to Russian Wilderness? Route question

Post by VanMarmot » June 19th, 2018, 5:15 am

I've done the loop from Taylor to Big Blue and back (TR). It's steep and rocky in spots but certainly doable. But going strictly cross-country here could lead you into some very steep & possibly impassable terrain.

Also not sure why you'd want to start at Etna Summit since the Taylor Lake TH is nice - paved parking & a toilet. From there you could take the old road (41N18) north and up to the PCT and then the #5518 trail down to Ruffey, through Meeks (expect mosquitos), and back up to the PCT (this is a popular dayhiking loop from Etna Summit in its own right). Then the rest of your route and back to Taylor.

The area around Big Blue is one of the prettiest parts of this small wilderness area. Should be a good trip regardless of which route you take!