NW Trail Recommendation for memorial day weekend - 3 day backpack

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
hikerbarath

NW Trail Recommendation for memorial day weekend - 3 day backpack

Post by hikerbarath » May 24th, 2018, 10:16 am

Hello everyone,

I am travelling from detroit to portland for the memorial day weekend.
I am looking for a 3-day 2-night backpack experience on any mountain trail.
Being new to the area, I did not know about the snow conditions and trail closures in late may.
My initial plan was to do the broken top mountain trail. But some of the trails around green lake was closed, so I dropped the plan.

I know that there are few coastal trails open all year round, but I am looking for something along the lines of broken top mountain.

Can I find anything like that, this time around ?
I am open to anyplace in Oregon/Washington.

Thanks in advance

drm

Re: NW Trail Recommendation for memorial day weekend - 3 day backpack

Post by drm » May 24th, 2018, 6:30 pm

Well, that's an alpine hike and those won't melt out for a couple more months, so you won't find anything like that unless you are willing and equipped for a lot of snow travel. I'm assuming not since you didn't mention snow. Memorial Day is always a challenge because so few areas are melted out and everybody who camps wants to go camping if the weather cooperates, and it looks like it will. I don't know the coast that well but I don't think there is a lot of backpacking out there.

If anywhere in Oregon or Washington is game, then I would probably send you to Olympic National Park. Looks like the trail in to Enchanted Valley is mostly snow-free, it's spectacular this time of year, and it's maybe 4 hours from Portland. You won't have it to yourself, but you won't have any place to yourself unless you go up into the snow. To the south would be the Rogue River Trail, about the same distance from Portland.

Good luck!

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » May 24th, 2018, 7:27 pm

If you want to come south, I'd suggest the Wild Rogue Loop. There's no snow, it's not too hot yet, and it's short enough for an easy 3-day, 2-night backpack. See Hanging Rock and the Rogue River. About 4-5 hours from Portland. Can't say you'll have it all to yourself on a holiday weekend but it shouldn't be that busy.

hikerbarath

Post by hikerbarath » May 25th, 2018, 10:05 am

Both of these Options sound great.
I was interested in the high divide trail, but unfortunately there is a permit required to be obtained in advance for wilderness camping. The enchantment valley trail looks like an excellent option, which doesn't need a reservation in advance.
Will consider , the wild rogue option as well.

Tough choice :D
Thanks.

drm

Post by drm » May 25th, 2018, 3:06 pm

Rogue and Enchanted Valley are quite the contrast. Rogue to the south will be warmer, but with poison oak and ticks. Olympics: lush, lush, lush, won't have ticks, but should have some mud and large down logs as they have just started maintaining their trails for the season. Both of them have bears, but you're more likely to see them, and elk too, in the Olympics. You have to take a bear barrel for the Enchanted Valley.