Table Mountain Options, or Alternatives?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Don Nelsen

Re: Table Mountain Options, or Alternatives?

Post by Don Nelsen » April 24th, 2018, 7:42 am

Bosterson wrote:
April 23rd, 2018, 1:39 pm

No, but I agree. Going down Westway is like walking down a steep slope covered in marbles. It's not very fun even in dry conditions and if you don't mind the dropoff to your right. Going down HBR isn't very fun either, due to the steepness. The NW ridge is definitely the "fun" one, but I don't think the scrambly exposed bits (minimal though they are) would meet the requirements here.
Good analogy for the footing on Westway "..a steep slope covered in marbles." I posted a TR for a hike I did yesterday with a video of coming down Westway. Arlo, taken slowly, without the wind, it's really not so difficult. (Definitely better doing it in the uphill direction though. )

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26533&view=unread#unread

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

arlohike

Post by arlohike » April 24th, 2018, 1:41 pm

kepPNW wrote:
April 24th, 2018, 6:19 am
Yes, know the spot! Right before the powerline clearing. This is what it looked like two days before xmas...
Wow!
kepPNW wrote:
April 24th, 2018, 6:19 am
But! Just over that rise, it's really nothing but a sloping meadow...
What a difference a clear day makes. All I could see was gray looking down. But even that "sloping meadow" if it goes a long way with no trees or bushes to grab onto makes me uncomfortable. Same near the Dog Mountain summit ... those big sloping meadows are okay in ideal conditions, but with strong winds or snow or both, I'm not a happy camper.
Don Nelsen wrote:
April 24th, 2018, 7:42 am
I posted a TR for a hike I did yesterday with a video of coming down Westway.
I was getting nauseous just watching the video! Maybe I need some therapy on this. :?

Anyway, thanks for all the info ... it helps to know what to expect.
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)

arlohike

Post by arlohike » May 8th, 2018, 8:44 am

I did Augspurger Mountain on my birthday. It was nice! The powerline ridge wasn't a problem at all in good weather. In fact I really enjoyed the views from there, and it was full of wildflowers.

I went all the way to the viewpoint past the summit, but would probably skip that if I did it again. It was pretty overgrown, and the forested summit is a pleasant enough destination. (Edit: I think I went down the wrong ridge to a different viewpoint than the one mentioned in the field guide.)

I wanted to come back down via the Dog Mountain Trail and catch some more wildflowers, but sadly I was running out of time. Just going straight up and back, I logged 14 miles and 4600 feet of climbing, which is a little more elevation gain per mile than Larch Mountain. It had more variance in steepness, so it felt more strenuous, but it definitely fit the bill.

I'll try to get up Table Mountain later this month.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 8th, 2018, 10:39 am

Here are the signs newly posted at the Table Mt. TH's we used to be able to use:

The closest access was just off Shelly Lane a little east of Greenleaf Slough. Here is the greeting now:

The next closest went directly up a power line road about 8/10 mile east of the previous:

The Bonneville Hot Springs Resort used to allow parking in their back lot which gave access to the Dick Thomas Trail. The entrance to the resort is now signed thusly:

Another option used to be to drive up the power line roads just before the resort to access the PCT at Gillette Lake. This shaved 4.8 miles off the round trip if starting at the Bonneville Dam TH and about 1,000' RT EG. A huge new gate is a short distance up this road taking even this possibility off the "table":

Checking the Hamilton Creek stream guage, it looks like we still have wait a bit until the stream is low enough to walk safely across: (20' is where the stream is dry.)

https://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/wa/nwis ... 2018-05-08

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 8th, 2018, 7:18 pm

Don, it almost looks "impassible" ;)
There are options for those with creativity and determination.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 8th, 2018, 7:31 pm

Chip Down wrote:
May 8th, 2018, 7:18 pm
Don, it almost looks "impassible" ;)
There are options for those with creativity and determination.
Chip,

Agreed, but neither of us wants to encourage it for the masses, do we? I think this will work out to the benefit of all in time.

dn

arlohike

Post by arlohike » May 20th, 2018, 7:54 pm

For the record, Hamilton Mountain was another hike I bailed on over the winter due to fear of heights plus high winds plus lack of familiarity with the trail ... but I tried it yesterday in good weather and it was fine. I did the whole loop, with the steeper south side and the saddle on the north side. It was quite nice actually. Now that I've seen it, I might be more comfortable doing it again in bad weather.

drm

Post by drm » May 29th, 2018, 6:47 pm

So is the only officially legal maintained trail access to Table Mountain from the Columbia now from the North Bonneville PCT trailhead?

Has anybody driven the roads to where the NW ridge comes down to?

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 29th, 2018, 7:45 pm

drm wrote:
May 29th, 2018, 6:47 pm
Not too bad. What are you driving?

In light of Don's post above: It's horrible. You'll get lost, stuck, or destroy your vehicle, maybe all three.

drm

Post by drm » June 1st, 2018, 8:16 am

Chip Down wrote:
May 29th, 2018, 7:45 pm
drm wrote:
May 29th, 2018, 6:47 pm
Not too bad. What are you driving?

In light of Don's post above: It's horrible. You'll get lost, stuck, or destroy your vehicle, maybe all three.
I have a street legal M1 tank. I don't get stuck very often.