Road to Twin Springs / Old Baldy TH?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
justpeachy

Road to Twin Springs / Old Baldy TH?

Post by justpeachy » September 21st, 2017, 2:20 pm

Does anyone have recent experience driving to the Twin Springs / Old Baldy Trailhead?
http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide ... _Trailhead

The field guide describes the last 10.5 miles as "sometimes narrow, potholed, and rutted" and I'm wondering if it's now 10 solid miles of potholes and ruts. We have an Outback and I imagine we can make it regardless, but would like to mentally prepare if it's going to be rough going.

greenjello85

Re: Road to Twin Springs / Old Baldy TH?

Post by greenjello85 » September 21st, 2017, 6:42 pm

I'd say that's pretty accurate. Down low it's all pot holes passing by the OHV areas, and then the ruts start. There's one nasty rut that runs down the middle of the road that was difficult to pass earlier this summer in my outback but it can be done. Great trail though!

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » September 21st, 2017, 6:47 pm

4610 was pretty terrible in April 2016 when I was last on it. For an SUV the worst part was the OHV pot holes greenjello85 described. I would like to imagine it's been graded since then but I wouldn't expect it.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » September 21st, 2017, 7:51 pm

I was up that way a few weeks ago and it definitely hasn't been graded at all. It was worse than the last time I was up that way a few years ago. Prepare for potholes and ruts and washouts. And then you will hit some areas that are in great shape - but they are pretty short.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

bobcat

Post by bobcat » September 22nd, 2017, 6:08 pm

Ditto on all the above, but - bottom line - you will be able to make it in your Outback although the recent rain will have made it just that more interesting. Bow hunting season too: there will be others up there . . .