Timberline Trail repair

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
longstrides

Timberline Trail repair

Post by longstrides » April 30th, 2016, 11:49 pm

With the trail finally being repaired at Elliot creek, does anyone know if they plan on removing "the ropes" during that time? Am planning a trip in the middle of July and was looking for some help.

adamschneider

Re: Timberline Trail repair

Post by adamschneider » May 1st, 2016, 5:48 am

I'm pretty sure they won't have the new trail finished by then, so I'd plan on The Ropes.

No one knows what will happen to the "old" route once the new trail is built.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 1st, 2016, 6:05 am

The Forest Service did not put up the ropes. They are a little handy, but you can do it without. One thing is, they mark where the route is.

When they get that new crossing in, that will be easier, so it wouldn't make sense to do the ropes. Even if they just had the route marked with ribbon but not completely done.

longstrides

Post by longstrides » May 2nd, 2016, 1:37 am

Thank you both for the info. Much appreciated. Looking forward to the trip

miah66

Post by miah66 » May 2nd, 2016, 8:09 am

Just FYI, this new trail isn't going to be ready anytime soon. "Sometime in 2017"
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

drm

Post by drm » May 2nd, 2016, 2:03 pm

My guess is that even when the fix is done some people will continue to use the existing "rope" route to avoid the relatively large altitude changes for the fixed route. Until, that is, the next gully washer goes through there, removes the ropes, and leaves a new set of balanced boulders ready to play hiker rolling pin.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 2nd, 2016, 3:14 pm

I don't think there'll be that much elevation gain to the new crossing. That will be easier.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » May 2nd, 2016, 3:18 pm

retired jerry wrote:I don't think there'll be that much elevation gain to the new crossing. That will be easier.
It depends on what you're doing. If you're starting from Cloud Cap and going toward Elk Cove, I don't think it'll make much difference. But it might be a significant dip for people going around the Timberline Trail, especially if they were going cut over to the Eliot moraine rather than going all the way down toward the campground.

longstrides

Post by longstrides » May 2nd, 2016, 4:56 pm

Planning on doing the whole trail starting at the lodge and going clockwise. Is there any good maps out there to help? Have the "Backpacking Oregon" book and its ok but looking for something with a little more info. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 3rd, 2016, 8:21 am

"But it might be a significant dip for people going around the Timberline Trail, especially if they were going cut over to the Eliot moraine rather than going all the way down toward the campground."

Yeah, but I think it'll be a 500 foot drop on the new route

Crossing up high is such a pain in the rear. Finding a possible route. Lots of fine material getting into your boots...

Crossing at the ropes is a 200 foot gain and loss. Maybe only 50 if you're coming down from Cooper Spur. But all that fine dirt to climb through.