Lost Lake access

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
zepboy

Lost Lake access

Post by zepboy » March 27th, 2015, 4:37 pm

Has anyone been to Lost Lake recently? If so is the highway still gated? How far could one go along the lake shore trail before hitting snow?

Thanks
Jeff

Derwood

Re: Lost Lake access

Post by Derwood » March 27th, 2015, 5:51 pm

I went above Lost Lake via the PCT on Saturday on a hike that began at Lolo Pass*. The only small stretches of snow on the trail appeared around 4000 feet between the Huckleberry Trail junction and Buck Peak, well above the resort itself. It was about 4"-6" in 20 foot sections**. Of course, this was before it began actually snowing by the time we got to Buck Peak itself, so who knows what it's like at this point. As I didn't actually take Lost Lake road, I can't specifically speak for the road or gate situation to Lost Lake itself.

-Derwood

*Lolo Pass Road was clear all the way through without any sign of snow at the time, though plenty of potholes on the eastern side.

**Sean might be interested to know that there was NO snow build up on the PCT on the North side of Buck Peak leading all the way to the Gorge. This was before Saturday Night and Sunday's snow fall, which might be mostly gone at this point given the past few days.

-D

pdxgene

Re: Lost Lake access

Post by pdxgene » March 27th, 2015, 9:03 pm

They are opening things up for rentals/campgrounds on April 1st ( See http://www.lostlakeresort.org or on their Facebook page for info). Or 2-3 months earlier than usual. Even if the gate isn't open yet, it's maybe a 1/4 mile walk from there to the lake. There's almost zero chance of seeing snow on your way in or while you are there unless it falls after today.
My guess is if they are there prepping to open, the gate will be open so they can get $6 per car or whatever the day use fee is this year.