Mt. Yoran and Peak 7138 9/2/11

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
jessbee

Mt. Yoran and Peak 7138 9/2/11

Post by jessbee » September 6th, 2011, 9:42 pm

September 2, 2011.

Vivian Lake Trail > Mt. Yoran Trail > Yoran Summit > Peak 7138 and back

8-ish miles | 2500' ele. gain | 5:30 hours

Photos on Picasa

A holiday weekend: 4 summits in 4 days was the plan. I drove down to the trailhead for this hike the night prior and slept out under the stars in hopes of catching an early start in the morning. Temperatures this weekend were threatening to be in the high 80's and into the 90's, so I'd planned to avoid the worst heat of the day. This was easy to do, as I was alone for this part of my trip.

At 7 am I began the approach hike up the not-so-pretty Vivian Lake and Mt. Yoran trails, which traveled through brown and boring forest for most of the way. Just before descending to Divide Lake the forest floor picked up some interesting color and vegetation, adding some excitement to this so far trudge-like walk. Upon arriving at the lake I was greeted by a pine marten who stopped to pose on a log before running into the safety of the trees.

With a copy of the <em>75 Scrambles in Oregeon</em> route description in hand, I promptly ignored the suggestion to find the climbers trail and headed straight up the obvious rock field leading towards the summit. Mt. Yoran is an impressive looking rock block; from many angles it looks impassable to the average hiker. However, the rock slope leads to a somewhat solid gully filled with loose rock that is manageable to negotiate. I moved into the treed section of the steep slope and climbed up the right side of the rock below the large gendarme. From there, I followed the most obvious route to the notch above, walked up the next gully and traversed right across an exposed ridge to the flat summit. It was over just as soon as it begun. While fun, the scramble was short. I sat atop the peak, enjoying the cooler air temperature and lovely breeze.

To the southeast, another rocky peak jutted prominently out of the forest below. The seductively named Peak 7138, which is actually taller than what is labeled as the "summit" of Mt. Yoran, looked like a nice secondary objective of the day. It only took me two hours to get here so I had plenty of daytime to play with.

I descended mostly the same way I came up, skirting away from the loose rock in the gully and exiting as soon as I could in order to reach the saddle between Yoran and 7138. I followed the ridgeline, keeping to the south side as to avoid the crumbly, steep, and exposed ridge proper. Traversing talus and grass, I bypassed a tall rock pinnacle and headed for a rock outcrop that appeared to be loose but fun. And it was.

A few hairy moves and tumbling boulders later I reached the top of the peak. That was actually more scrambling and more fun than the route up Mt. Yoran. I would highly recommend doing this double feature to someone considering the scramble of Mt. Yoran. It would be a bit more treacherous with a group of people due to rockfall, so helmets and functioning brains would be advised.

Atop the summit, gorgeous views were to be had in all directions. I admired Diamond Peak, my goal for tomorrow. I also found a memorial carved into a rock: "Norman Thomas 61-87." I was blown away that someone came up here to this random, off the grid peak to remember a lost friend. As much as I despise these things at commonly visited spots I was surprisingly inspired by seeing this carving located here. I wonder if this particular peak had some significance in this person's life, or what the story of his death was. I couldn't find any information online when I returned home, so I will continue to wonder.

After getting sick of swatting flies and mosquitoes I began the exciting descent. I didn't want to go down the way I ascended so instead I did some rock-surfing down a steep and loose gully that pointed me towards Divide Lake. I cursed the stupid chipmunk who danced across the rock as I fumbled around like a drunken sorority girl. Once back at the lake I paused for a nanosecond to take a picture before the mosquitoes could figure out I was there.

Shortly after, I passed a couple who were on their way up to the lake; they were the only humans I'd see on the trail. I'm not sure if it was so quiet because it was a Friday morning or because this isn't a particularly popular destination. Either way, it was a win-win situation for me. The triple win came within a quarter mile of the trailhead, where huckleberries were ripe and ready for consumption. I stopped and gorged myself on the berries, which were the sweetest and tastiest huckleberries I think I ever had. They were large and sweet, tasting more like blueberries than the huckleberries I'm used to. What a treat!

I had a snack and then moved my camp to Indigo Springs Campground so I would be closer to my next hike. I still had all afternoon to read, stretch, explore the woods, and relax by the creek. It was a great way to kick off the long weekend.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

Roy

Re: Mt. Yoran and Peak 7138 9/2/11

Post by Roy » September 7th, 2011, 10:16 pm

jessbee wrote:
Nice tr that pine marten looks like it is showing off.I like those kind of trips scrambling up unknown peaks. I know you had a tough injury last year. I saw my doc today one week after my rotator cuff surgery.The news was not good he showed me the video and photos.

I have seven months till that tendon heals enough for me to become active agian I just can not risk tearing it off of the screws.

Seems you have more to this trip please post I have had that area on my radar and these things cheer me up.

How were the bugs? The southen Or Cascades have always been the worst for me .

Send them reports my way Roy.

The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Crusak

Post by Crusak » September 8th, 2011, 5:21 am

A pine marten! Very nice to spot one of those, and snap a photo of it. I saw one in Jeff Park in 2006. Didn't get a picture though.

Looking forward to seeing more TR of your adventures.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

rick6003

Post by rick6003 » September 8th, 2011, 4:55 pm

Hi,

I was wondering about where this is located? Diamond peak, I think there are two in Oregon. I always am looking for a good scramble and these look pretty good.

Rick

Koda

Post by Koda » September 8th, 2011, 5:08 pm

excellent report Jessbee. I am heading into this area in Oct and excited to see the area in your photos as I'll be exploring some off trail lakes there. thanks for sharing. Yoran and Peak 7138 looks like a fun scramble. Its a beautiful area.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

jessbee

Post by jessbee » September 8th, 2011, 5:29 pm

Hey, have fun out there guys.

Mt Yoran is located southeast of Oakridge, OR down FR 23. It is just north of Diamond Peak as the crow flies (look up the Diamond Peak Wilderness).

I am working on the other reports but with school just starting I am already overburdened with work. I'll do the best I can :)

Great area, and it's nice to get out without a ton of other people around. The pine marten was especially cool. I had no idea what it was until I showed the picture to a friend. It was interesting how it posed on the log like that for a good 2 minutes before dashing off into the woods.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos