Dome Rock and Tumble Lake, 8/6/2011

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
CampinCarl

Dome Rock and Tumble Lake, 8/6/2011

Post by CampinCarl » August 8th, 2011, 10:41 am

Finally, I get to post a hike after having joined this site a couple months ago! If only they made a double backpack that could hold a 4 month old and 3 1/2 year old I'd be set :lol: Well, with my in-laws visiting for the weekend I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to get a hike in.
On Saturday, I headed up above Detroit with my Father-in-law to the upper trailhead to Dome Rock and Tumble Lake. It was socked in when we left Salem, so we were glad that the sky opened up to bright sunshine as we drove east. Drove up 2223, the road is in great condition for all vehicles.
When we arrived at the trailhead around 10:30 there was only one other vehicle there. On the day we saw a total of ten other hikers, with 3 groups camping down at Tumble Lake.
The trail starts out along the ridge meandering through shaded forest. There are flowers hanging on, including paintbrush, lupine, rhododendron, and columbine. At .4 miles we reached the first trail junction left to Dome Rock, where the trail continues meandering through the forest until the Dome Rock junction. Boo to the person who left a present on the trail here at the turn off to Dome Rock TP and all :? A quick trip to the top brought us out to ever increasing views, from Mt. Hood peaking it’s nose out, following south down the Cascades to the Three Sisters and beyond. Mt. Jefferson is in your face here.
After taking pictures and snacking, we began the 1240 foot descent down to Tumble Lake. There were a total of 3 lilies on this hike which made great olfactory signposts with their sweet fragrance, one near the summit and two going down the Tumble Lake trail. I’ll ask the forum users here: is that a Cascade lily? I am no botanist. There were three logs down on the trail, not difficult to skirt, just an FYI.
We approached the lake through a tangle of Thimbleberries (flowering) and Devil’s club (past flowering). I definitely recommend hiking down to the lake with long pants on! We snapped a couple of pictures at the lake, then headed over to see if we could see Tumble Falls and have lunch. Hmmm… I am not enough of a daredevil to attempt to find a good viewpoint of these falls, but then again, I didn’t explore on the west side of the creek.
I headed back to the lake for a quick dip (the water’s nice and warm) and saw what looked to be a newt swimming in the shallows.
Now I need to go back to backpack, explore the west side of the lake and also see if I can find a better vantage point of Tumble Falls. All in all a great hike!
Totals: 5.8 miles, Elevation gain: 1550 ft
Attachments
02First View of Tumble Lake.jpg
03wildflower_along_trail.jpg
04Shaded Trail.jpg
05Rhododendron.jpg
06Dome Rock.jpg
07Stone crop Arrangement.jpg
08Cascade Lily and the Photographer.jpg
09WNW from Dome Rock Summit.jpg
10Stone crop.jpg
12Jefferson View.jpg
13Cascade Lily.jpg
14Thimbleberry Jungle.jpg
15Twin greats.jpg
17Tumble Lake Outlet.jpg
18View down Tumble Creek canyon.jpg

Aridd

Re: Dome Rock and Tumble Lake, 8/6/2011

Post by Aridd » August 8th, 2011, 12:51 pm

this place is awesome, I had it all to myself last month when just over the ridge people were swarming at Detroit Lake

PS- Did you see toilet rock?

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » August 8th, 2011, 1:06 pm

Yeah, it was cool to be able to see the tiny boats dodging each other on Detroit Lake while we enjoyed the peace of the Tumble Creek overlook.
I actually saw your TR and was inspired to go here, thanks! Yes, we saw Toilet Rock, it looked much bigger in your picture. My father-in-law got a picture of me on it, I'll try and post it later for scale.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » August 8th, 2011, 7:00 pm

A varied and interesting area, I agree!

Yes, those are Cascade (or some call them Washington) lilies. The other notable feature about Tumble Lake, for plant aficionados, is the old-growth grove of Alaska yellow-cedars, one of the largest and most southern assemblages of these trees anywhere.

ewbadz

Post by ewbadz » August 9th, 2011, 7:06 am

If you follow the creek on the west side out to Tumble Falls you can scramble down some rocks to get a better viewpoint. Toilet Rock is pretty cool!

HikeandCache

Post by HikeandCache » August 9th, 2011, 2:37 pm

For my Bachelor party last year my groomsmen and I set out to find the Geocache up there. It was in the opening to the West of the Falls overlook. We took off from the campgrounds at Detroit Lake and man was it a long long uphill hike. I would love to go Backpacking up there next time, it was so quiet and beautiful.

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/762957

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... 6d1d595c45

Speaking of weird camp sites from "Aridd," we scrambled up to the top of a spire close to the TH and and hung out there a bit. On our way down I peered over the side of the rock and saw a small cave with layers of branches laid out to sleep on. I am not sure what could have slept there but I didn't want to find out.

All in all the trip was great!!!!!

rick6003

Post by rick6003 » August 9th, 2011, 2:54 pm

Howdy, as a kid I did quite a few trips into Tumble Lake. I barely emember my first one at around 6 years old. My dad packed me out on the old trail when the weather turned very nasty and cold. Used to be great fishing in the lake, last time about 12 years ago the fish were very stunted. Way too many fish for the food supply. Large heads and very skinny bodies.

Great area and a beautiful little lake sitting down in a hole.

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » August 19th, 2011, 10:12 am

As promised, pictures from my father-in-law
Attachments
3 Carl On The Dome Throne.jpg
Me on the "throne."
6 Washington Lilly.jpg
He was taking this picture as I was taking his picture in "08Cascade Lily and the Photographer."