Dome Rock and Tumble Lake 7-24-11

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Aridd

Dome Rock and Tumble Lake 7-24-11

Post by Aridd » July 25th, 2011, 7:37 am

When we drove by Detroit Lake around 11, there were 15-20 trucks with boats waiting in line to get into the day use area.

15 minutes later we were up at the trail head with only one other car.

the trail is pretty good, mostly on a ridge

before you know it, you arrive at the Tumble Lake/Dome Rock Summit junction. We decided to do the rock first then go down to the lake, this is also where we lost the loud family that was hiking behind us.

the trail gradually climbs up from the junction, there are a couple steep parts but it was quick

in a couple minutes the trees start to thin out and Tumble Lake comes into view with "Toilet Rock" on the edge of the trail. (someone handwrote 'and toilet rock too!' on the dome rock sign)

once you turn the corner, Detroit Lake is visible with the Three Sisters above

the top was all views, butterflies, flowers, and sunshine.

after hanging out on top for about 30-45 minutes, we were down to the lake for a swim.

it took us another 45mins or so to get down to the lake. I would like to note that there is devils club the whole way... we were both wearing shorts and got a few scratches each. In William Sullivan's guide it says the trail passes through two "meadows". These "meadows" are devils club.

once through the devils club, the lake was awesome. We explored around the lake, found 'tumble falls' (which is sketchy trying to get a view of), and took a swim in the lake. I will be back here to camp for sure.

dried off (well kind of, I fell back in getting a neck wrap wet right when I was finally dry :) ) and back to the car in less than an hour. That climb back out of Tumble Lake is a killer though, the grade seemed comparable to the top of St. Helens or South sister.

side note: one of the campsites we passed had a folded tarp and about two/three days worth of canned food hanging on a tree. There was a spot on the ground that looked like a tent/tarp had been there for a looonnng time. The fire was still smoldering... seemed kind of weird but I've probably been reading too many strange stories. :shock:

We had the summit and lake to ourselves, and it was nice to look at all of the madness down on Detroit and be far away. The only other people we saw were the loud family at the beginning and an older couple coming down from the summit.

CampinCarl

Re: Dome Rock and Tumble Lake 7-24-11

Post by CampinCarl » July 25th, 2011, 8:08 am

Thanks for the great report! I have been thinking of heading up there, now I know that it is a worthy goal. How was the road up to the TH?

Aridd

Post by Aridd » July 25th, 2011, 8:18 am

2223 is clear to the trailhead, ok for passenger vehicles at low speeds

ewbadz

Post by ewbadz » July 26th, 2011, 8:43 am

Thanks for the report! My brother and I have a trip planned there for this coming weekend. Good to know the Upper TH is clear. Whenever I see strange stuff like that on the trail the dueling banjos song from Deliverance always starts playing in my head lol.

er0ck

Post by er0ck » July 27th, 2011, 1:04 pm

nice! can't wait to get down there in august.

w/ regard to the tarp and food, sounds like maybe they were out for a day hike? at least they knew to hang their food.
it was canned though? i'm assuming that means a really cheap blue tarp?
i also find it strange that people would go so far to "hide", in plain view, even though that's what i call it when i go out for a few days :lol:
bad knees rules everything around me.