Park Ridge & Breitenbush Cascades - September 01, 2008

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mattisnotfrench

Park Ridge & Breitenbush Cascades - September 01, 2008

Post by mattisnotfrench » September 11th, 2008, 10:18 am

This has been ten days coming, as I've been hyper-busy with my new job, MusicFestNW last week and some important anniversaries and birthdays this week. Life comes at you hard! One minute you're unemployed and spending your days playing guitar, the next you're working and trying to figure out your schedule days in advance.

So, flashback to Labour Day. I rounded up Anna (In Boots) and my buddy Karl for an exploration of the Kuckup Park area and its waterfalls, at the southern end of the Olallie plateau. Well, let's just say that didn't fly. Maybe some of you get my drift and the less said, the better. I wouldn't recommend it either. Instead, we made our way up the barely passable FR4220 to Breitenbush Lake. On the way we stopped at the ever-impressive Breitenbush Cascades.

Some of you may remember my posts from last summer about Breitenbush Cascades, a tiered falls in the Mt. Jefferson area. However, for those who have no idea what I'm talking about, Breitenbush Cascades is waterfall just off FR4220 about three miles from FR46. It's also very likely the tallest waterfall in Oregon. No joke!

The experience was similar to that last year. The "Charlie's Falls" sign was gone but the trail was in good condition and the pullout was still nicely maintained. The falls were ROARING:

What you see is only one tier of the falls. It continues over a ledge right by the boulders on which we were standing. I did a little investigation as to how to get further down the slope and it does appear possible, something to note for the future. Of course, I am also planning an expedition to the base of the falls by hiking up the South Fork North Fork...

But I digress. Given that we had other objectives in mind, it was time to move on. Karl and Anna were both impressed by the roaring falls and interested in returning. I'd recommend it to everyone! If your car can make it up that road, that is...but it's a small price to pay to see one of the state's best waterfalls. The view of Mt. Jefferson is still grand:

So, on we went to Breitenbush Lake. It was cold. It had snowed the night before, keeping down the mosquitoes. We headed on over to the PCT and up towards Park Ridge, taking in some of the beauty of the scene. It was a very odd feeling up there, as it seemed like fall and spring at the same time. There were still flowers going:

The PCT was in good shape, though some repairs are needed. There was, for example, a bridge out.

The weather was odd all day, with clouds hovering over threatening rain and snow, but with the sun occasionally peeking out and hinting at a summer reprisal. Which would prevail? We couldn't tell all day. A couple shots on the way up the trail:

Near the top of Park Ridge you pass a pond on the left of the trail. This is a scenic spot, and a great spot to stop and rest up for the assault on the summit. However, noticing a gap in the trees just above the pond, we decided to go investigate. Here's the secret: you come to an overlook of the entire Shitike Valley on the Warm Springs Reservation, and it's an easy cross-country romp to some great views of both the valley and Park Ridge up above:

The paintbrush was great, too:

This was an excellent spot on the very crest of the Cascades. Just don't get lost if you decide to go there!

So, on we continued to the top of Park Ridge. The route to the top required traversing some open terrain followed by several (more than normal) snowfields. The route is easy to follow, though. We soon reached the top of the ridge, where Mt. Jefferson dominates the scene, clouds or no clouds:

Look closely and you can see the fresh dusting of snow on the mountain!

There were other charms at the summit of the ridge as well, including some fall foliage:

Little Sprague Lake on the PCT was a veritable glacial pond, too:

It must have snowed a metric ton up here in the winter, because there were still signs of winter all around. We lingered up on the ridge top for awhile but it started getting COLD. The wind was blowing hard and it felt like winter might be approaching that night, even though the sun would occasionally peek out behind the clouds. Still, it was getting late and time to start back towards the truck.

As I mentioned, it was late; however, our reward for being there late was some excellent late afternoon light that made photography a sheer pleasure. I'll let the pictures guide y'all down the mountain:

We had some fun on the way down inspecting the snow drifts that still hit a section of the trail. Karl even tried to cross a snow bridge with predictable results:

We reached Breitenbush Lake sometime in the evening, where the scene was gorgeous (and where the mosquitoes had recently awakened):

We decided to head down via Olallie Lake, armed with Anna's truck in a struggle against one of the worst roads in the state of Oregon. We stopped to take a break at an overlook maybe half a mile from Horseshoe Lake, and this was just as the sun was going down. While Karl collected huckleberries (there were many!) I got some nice shots of the evening light:

The sun was just going down over Olallie country:

What a view!

By the time we reached Olallie Lake, it was almost completely dark, just light enough to catch one last glimpse of Mt. Jefferson over the lake:

Then came the long drive back to Portland.

I want to thank Karl and Anna both for such an excellent day! It was a wonderful time with some wonderful conversation, wonderful scenery and wonderful hummus! I absolutely love Olallie country and never tire of exploring in such a beautiful area. I just wish I could have gotten this trip report up sooner, but as I said, life comes at you hard sometimes!

Also, for those interested in doing some more investigating around Breitenbush Cascades, let me know.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

Paul

Re: Park Ridge & Breitenbush Cascades - September 01, 2008

Post by Paul » September 11th, 2008, 11:12 am

Great pics! I may have passed you by on my way up from Breitenbush to Jefferson Park. You remember seeing a guy with two labs?

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » September 11th, 2008, 12:35 pm

Paul,

We probably did see you. We saw so many gorgeous puppy dogs that day, it all seemed like one big, long blur of furry smiles and wagging butts. It was a good day to be a canine!

While we were heading up, lots of backpackers were trudging down, dirty, wet, and tired. I always feel a mix of emotions when I pass them--disappointment that I wasn't doing the same thing and relief that I'm still clean and comfortable! Ha!

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

Aridd

Post by Aridd » October 9th, 2008, 4:21 pm

wow nice trip report thats definately the way to go into jeff park!

shekblazer

Post by shekblazer » March 9th, 2018, 1:43 pm

I know this post is coming up on 10 years old but was there ever any inclination to drop down into Kuckup Park? I understand it is tribal land but unless there's cameras up there or a tribal rep babysitting the area, that is one of the most remote corners of Oregon to see any other human. I seriously doubt someone would do a x-country route off the PCT, wander east through the mountain hemlock and end up in Kuckup at gun point. Or am I wrong? Same with the alpine plateau north of Hole In the Wall Park...Any replies or feedback to this is welcomed.

pcg

Post by pcg » March 9th, 2018, 5:21 pm

shekblazer wrote:I understand it is tribal land but unless there's cameras up there or a tribal rep babysitting the area, that is one of the most remote corners of Oregon to see any other human
You asked for feedback, so... how about just simple respect for tribal land? Can I walk into your house when you're not home?

Aimless

Post by Aimless » March 9th, 2018, 8:19 pm

I seriously doubt someone would do a x-country route off the PCT, wander east through the mountain hemlock and end up in Kuckup at gun point.

If someone has to point a gun at you to get you to do what is right, then you are not clear about the concept of giving (or getting) respect. :(

RobinB

Post by RobinB » March 9th, 2018, 9:42 pm

Always nice to see an old TR necromanced, but yea: please stay out of tribal land - not because of enforcement, but because it's the right thing to do.