Wyeth to North Lake 1-23-11

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pablo

Re: Wyeth to North Lake 1-23-11

Post by pablo » January 26th, 2011, 9:06 am

airdrum wrote:Really cool info, I'm also interested in going straight up this ridge. 60 degrees, that's a fall and you could really be hurt angle, sounds grueling!
Nice report, Wyeth is one of my favorite trails.

I have followed bits of the old trail but was not able to locate the steep parts of interest. I did, however, do a straight up the hill route that I think is more interesting as it has views and vision quest pits. Here's the route I followed about a year ago.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

drm

Post by drm » January 26th, 2011, 4:11 pm

That a map doesn't show switchbacks doesn't mean that there weren't any. I see lots of maps that just leave them off.

ponyboy84

Post by ponyboy84 » January 26th, 2011, 10:13 pm

drm wrote:That a map doesn't show switchbacks doesn't mean that there weren't any. I see lots of maps that just leave them off.
For that matter some switchbacks are too tight for the maps they are on. Thus is the case with Longs Pass on many a map.

turtle

Re: Wyeth to North Lake 1-23-11 Redux 1.30.11

Post by turtle » February 4th, 2011, 4:32 pm

I'm attaching this TR as an update to the original post by airdrum as opposed to a new TR.

I went from the Wyeth TH to the trail junction of Wyeth tr/North Lake tr last Sunday. It was my first trip of the year and a good excuse to test my new Six Moon Designs Swift pack. I started about 10 am with a full pack-24 lbs-and headed up the ridge. The trail conditions were pretty much the same as described by airdrum except I only had about 200 yards of snow before I stopped at the trail junction. According to the sign that is 4.1 miles from the TH. I had the trail to myself for the entire day.
IMG_1596 [1024x768].JPG
This is a better shot of the mystery tent. It appears that someone made a bad attempt at a camp and got chased out by weather. The tent is a cheapie with fiberglass poles and mushroom cap fly.
IMG_1598 [1024x768].JPG
This is the snow conditions at the trail junction as of 1.30.
IMG_1600 [1024x768].JPG
I was starting to run out of daylight and trying to hike between some rain drops so I didn't bother to use the tripod. Other than a case of the fuzzies I kind of like this shot.
Other than 3 or 4 days of muscle soreness it was a nice first trip.

The pack worked just fine; very comfortable even when I unhooked the hipbelt. More detailed review pending more tests. :D
Summer breezes caressed me, my legs stepped forward as though possessed of their own appetite, and the mountains kept promising. Rebecca Solnit