Nesmith Point to Wauneka Point

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
kev.schu

Nesmith Point to Wauneka Point

Post by kev.schu » August 15th, 2010, 10:13 am

So after my thread asking for more peaks/mountains/points/buttes to hike in the gorge as i want to try my best to get all of the ones west of Hood river in this year I decided to take my buddy and do Wauneka Point. I chose this as my second one to do out of the list in my other post as after some reading it sounded like a forgotten about trail and interested me and I did Munra Point the weekend before and figured I'd get that area taken care of. Unfortunately I only got a couple pictures at Nesmith point as Some unfortunate events made me not interested to actually take pictures at Wauneka = (. Some may know that yesterday was pretty warm, well, I only brought my 3L camelpak with me, and ran out just as we were half way onto the ridge of Wauneka and wouldn't be able to refill until the way back where there are a couple of creeks.

Either way, the hike was great, lots of really good views from both Nesmith and Wauneka. I also add thanks to whom ever put up the red/pink ribbons past the last major rock point, it helped quite a bit, especially since there is now a lot of fallen tree's and brush covering some major points of the trail.

And here is my GPS log.

we took the detour since we started late and were itching to get back to the car, it saved is 1.5 miles in travel distance and was fairly flat in that area.

Our total trip was 16miles even, and had we not taken the detour it would have been 17.5 of course.

Also managed to do the entire hike in my Vibram's which was a big accomplishment for me since I did Munra Point last weekend in them and was only 7.5 miles.

pablo

Re: Nesmith Point to Wauneka Point

Post by pablo » August 16th, 2010, 8:39 pm

Nicely done report on one of the more secluded places in the gorge. That rocky outcrop on Wauneka Point Trail with the big views has one of the more extensive set of vision quest pits and other workings in the Gorge - a really fascinating place.

I've done that detour of yours a time or 2 - really cuts out some pointless hiking to Yeon Mtn Road from Moffet Creek Trail.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.