Killen Creek on Mt Adams 7/25/2010

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
leadfoot

Killen Creek on Mt Adams 7/25/2010

Post by leadfoot » July 26th, 2010, 4:08 am

DRM and I hiked up to the PCT/Round the Mtn trail on the north side of Mt. Adams on Sunday via the Killen Creek trail. Still quite a bit of snow up there, a beautiful day. There were perhaps 8-10 cars in the parking area when we got there about 11 am

First person we caught up to, perhaps a mile up from the trail head. An interesting way to backpack, complete with climbing gear. They were attempting the summit I think, going up Adams Glacier.

Once we got up to Round the Mtn trail, quite spectacular views, and alot of snow. You can see the trail snaking up to "high camp" in the snowfields.

A picture of one of the little ponds up in the Killen Meadow area. All the little black things in the water are mosquito larvae - there were alot of bugs, and in a week or two, they will carry you to the summit with no prodding.

The waterfall on Killen Creek, just above the PCT

Mt Adams from Round the Mtn/PCT

3 guys hiked up to about 7000 ft with skis, overnight. They reported big bug problems, and didn't get much skiing in.

On the way back, DRM and I stopped at TakhLakh Lake, perfectly framing Mt. Adams

A great day up on the north side of Adams.

Roy

Re: Killen Creek on Mt Adams 7/25/2010

Post by Roy » July 27th, 2010, 6:28 pm

Thanks guys for the report I'm hoping to get up in that area or the east side think I will wait a few more weeks. The bare foot guy was he walking that way by choice? He appears to have mountaineering boots on his pack.

Tom
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

leadfoot

Re: Killen Creek on Mt Adams 7/25/2010

Post by leadfoot » July 28th, 2010, 6:22 am

It was pretty hot, and the guy seemed comfortable hiking barefoot. Yes, those are mountaineering boots - he and his partner were going to try and summit Adams, going the up Adams glacier. He hiked barefoot for the 2 miles we "leapfrogged" with him and his partner. I assume he put the boots on eventually.