Quartz Creek Trail #5 (GPNF)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sore Feet

Quartz Creek Trail #5 (GPNF)

Post by Sore Feet » July 29th, 2008, 10:42 pm

Someone posted asking a question about the conditions a while back and since I was up there yesterday, I though I'd post a brief TR.

The trail is in okay shape, wide and easily followable, but steep in places and rather dusty in the first 2 miles. The Forest Service has some work on it, evident by several cut blowdowns in the first two miles, but there are still about a dozen major trees across the trail between the TH and Snagtooth Creek, one really massive old growth tree less than 1/2 mile from the trailhead and another really big mess about 3 miles in require substantial circumnavigation (the first one is much easier thanks to the stock traffic). No bridge across Straight Creek, but logs to cross on about 100 feet upstream from the ford point. Water is no more than shin deep if you decide to ford (though there are lots of potholes in the bedrock that may be up to thigh deep if you misstep). No bridge at Snagtooth Creek either, but its a small enough stream its possible to cross dry.

I went in after Snagtooth Falls, which involved hiking 4 miles to Snagtooth Creek, then bushwhacking almost a mile up Snagtooth Creek. This ended up being easily the most difficult bushwhack of my life, and those of you who have followed my efforts on my website know I've been in some really ugly gnarl. The hike as a whole really kicked my ass. The trail being so up and down for 4 miles, then more up and down without aid of a trail in getting in to Snagtooth Falls really took a toll. I started out at about 11:30 and didn't get back to the car until 8:50pm - over 9 hours for 9 miles. The falls were pretty impressive, weighing in at 311 feet tall, but I was not totally blown away as I was hoping I would be. If you want / need to punish yourself and go after this one, the one thing that will save you time is to stay on the east side of Snagtooth Creek. I wasted probably a good hour, maybe more, by just probing the creek, climbing up the other side of the canyon and ending up getting brushed and / or cliffed out. Travel on the east side of the canyon is much easier.

I'll post some pictures when I process them, got a ton to go through from this past week.