The (Angels & Devils) Rest of the Way - 28 March 2010

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Lurch

Re: The (Angels & Devils) Rest of the Way - 28 March 2010

Post by Lurch » April 10th, 2010, 2:12 pm

Just a few more pics...

Old Bridal veil, while water was being taken off for the flumes, and before debris filled the V in the lower falls..

Old mill at Palmer Pond, where they were rough cut before being sent further down.

Horse logging "Near Bridal Veil" 1890s

Palmer to Bridal Veil flume 1904, this is what the rough cut timber rode down to BV

This must be the infamous Jumbo?

vienturia

Post by vienturia » April 11th, 2010, 8:31 am

AlexanderSupertramp wrote:
Don Nelsen wrote:
CuriousGorgeGuide wrote:Don, i'd love to get the chance to meet you and go for a hike to the ruins with some like-minded gorge history buffs. I've a thing for crumbling chimneys, and i'd sure like to see this one.....my home is where the hearths are!.....scott
Let's do it! Looks like a lot of interest in exploration so as soon as the weather improves we can go up there. The hearth in the photo is at 2,200' so is surely buried in snow at present.

-don
Pencil me in for that one!

I'm in!
- Lindsay

jostalady

Post by jostalady » November 8th, 2013, 4:38 pm

:D Thank you for all this information!

I have a forest habitat paper due soon and I am really hoping to find some areas near Bridal Veil that grew back naturally after the 1902 fire and an area that grew unlogged after the 1928 effort by the National Forest service to replant. I want to compare natural succession with managed. Does this kind of habitat example exist? How do I find them? I have to VISIT the sites and figure out what is growing there, do a general characterization. I don't want to spend all of my time and energy hiking around blindly hoping such a site presents itself.

Thanks for your thoughts!