Bald Mountain - Muddy Fork - Ramona Loop

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Guy

Bald Mountain - Muddy Fork - Ramona Loop

Post by Guy » September 13th, 2009, 5:01 pm

Saturday a friend visiting from out of town & I squeezed a quick loop hike in from Top Spur taking the Timberline trail over Muddy Fork then on to Ramona Falls & back to Top Spur via the PCT. This hike has already been written up a few times this year so I wont go into to many details!

First off we checked out the old spur trail that goes up to the Summit of Bald Mountain, this short little diversion is well worth it for the spectacular view you get from the top.

On zooming in you can even see the entrance to the ice cave talked about in this thread.

From here we returned to the timberline Trail & headed on to the Muddy Fork crossing. I hadn't been here since the late 1980's & it has certainly changed. Here is a view of the new waterfall below the Sandy Glacier.

Crossing the Muddy fork wasn't difficult but if you wanted to keep your feet dry you certainly had to walk up and down a bit & think about where you wanted to jump!

I wasn't sure we would make it to Ramona Falls after reading here about a washout of this trail. Anyway I can report that the trail has been fixed and is easily passable. We had a bite to eat at Ramona Falls before heading back to Top Spur.

We were running a bit behind schedule as we were supposed to be home by 5:00 so we did a quick march from Ramona Falls down to the new PCT junction to the bridge over the Muddy Fork & then on up to Top Spur. We noticed that about 3/4 of a mile before the Top Spur Junction the PCT runs very close to the road leading up to Top Spur. In order to save a few minutes we headed off through the trees to see if we could make our way to the road at this point & save the hike back down the Top Spur Trail. This turned out to be very easy to do in fact we found a use trail leading up from the road to the PCT. The Blue X on the map below marks the location of this access trail.
Baldmtmap.jpg
Location of the PCT access use trail
A few more photos of our trip here.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Re: Bald Mountain - Muddy Fork - Ramona Loop

Post by retired jerry » September 13th, 2009, 5:27 pm

I've done that use trail you marked with the blue X.

It looks like more than just a trail that has been created by people walking on it.

Maybe it used to be the trail before the Top Spur trail?

raven

Post by raven » September 13th, 2009, 8:32 pm

Jerry,

IIRC, both the Top Spur and the lower connector were present 20 to 25 years ago.

Steve

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 14th, 2009, 5:17 am

Was the connector trail signed and more established then?

It's totally overgrown with Rhodys right now.

raven

Post by raven » September 14th, 2009, 9:46 am

It wasn't signed. I noticed on the map the short distance from the road to the trail at the switchback while climbing, so looked for and saw a well-established use trail. I followed it to the road, then went back to my trail and continued on. I think the use trail had not been brushed recently, but I don't remember any rhodies along there.

Guy

Post by Guy » September 14th, 2009, 8:31 pm

The first half of the trail from the road up is well defined and easy to walk along at normal speed. Waist high brush on both sides. The second half of the trial to the PCT is less well defined but not a problem as there is very little undergrowth here.

Conveniently there is also pullout on the opposite side of the road that would hold 2 or 3 cars. Maybe a good option for those who don't like to say hello a 100 times on the Top Spur Trail or for those who don't like to buy a Northwest Forest Service Pass "^)..
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors