Glacier National Park (Piegan Pass Trail): 02-Sep-09

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Glacier National Park (Piegan Pass Trail): 02-Sep-09

Post by VanMarmot » September 6th, 2009, 8:05 am

Last year we made a reconnaisance visit to Glacier National Park - first time back in almost 30 years. We did one hike (Scalplock Mtn Lookout) in the extreme southern end of the park but realized we were missing the main stuff further north. So we vowed to return this year and we did. We stayed at the Many Glacier Hotel (nice, but there's also a motor hotel and a campground). Several major trails start right from its backdoor and there is also a shuttle ($10) that connects with the NPS shuttle (free) that runs across the park. We used the shuttle to take us to Siyeh Bend on the Going-to-the-Sun Highway, where the Piegan Pass Trail runs north to Many Glacier Hotel. Using the shuttle system allowed us to hike a 13 mile, 1600' gain loop without a car or car shuttle.
(1) Piegan Pass Trail GNP.jpg
The trail climbs on gentle switchbacks through a thick forest (with us hollering the whole way to warn the grizzly bears - which are no joke in this park - one major trail was closed due to bear activity and there were several sightings around the lakes) before emerging into an open mixture of forests and meadows
(2) Trail to the pass.jpg
and then across open slopes toward the pass (8000'). Cataract Mountain is on the right.
(3) Piegan Pass (from south).jpg
Looking back, we could see our starting point on the G-T-S Highway at Siyeh Bend. Pollock Mountain is on the right.
(4) Toward Siyeh Bend TH.jpg
From the pass, the trail drops in the Cataract Creek valley, bordered by high cliffs to the west and steep, open slopes to the east.
(5) North from Piegan Pass.jpg
There are a number of falls and glacial runoff drainages visible from the trail, but the biggest fall is Morning Eagle.
(6) Morning Eagle Falls.jpg
The trail continues down the Cataract drainage through open meadows and krummholtz forest, with spectacular views of 2000' cliffs and sharply defined peaks (such as Angel Wing) to the west.
(7) Angel Wing.jpg
The trail eventually levels off in forest (necessitating more shouting and talking to warn the bears)
(8) Along Cataract Creek.jpg
and then passes Lake Josephine and Swiftcurrent Lake before reaching the lodge. The weather was excellent and, becuase peak season ends in mid-August, there were few hikers on the trail (we saw 5 other people the whole day). Compared to the Gorge, the trails are gentle (but generally above 6000') but offer totally awe inspiring views of mountains and lakes. We're planning to go again next year.

Re: Glacier National Park (Piegan Pass Trail): 02-Sep-09

Post by 14270 » September 7th, 2009, 7:48 am

Looks like you had a great trip. I'll be heading there next week as well. How long did this one take? I was thinking of doing the same hike, but also try to summit Piegan Mountain from the pass on the way. I'm afraid I might be pushing it for time though. I would really prefer not to be hiking out in the dark in grizzly country!

anna in boots

Re: Glacier National Park (Piegan Pass Trail): 02-Sep-09

Post by anna in boots » September 7th, 2009, 7:58 am

14270 wrote:I would really prefer not to be hiking out in the dark in grizzly country!
I wouldn't worry about it, 14270, I've seen you and you're far too fast and lean to make a decent snack for grizzlies! Ha!

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/