Blue Box Summit to Clear Lake 8-11-18

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
AGHiker2018

Blue Box Summit to Clear Lake 8-11-18

Post by AGHiker2018 » August 12th, 2018, 5:13 pm

Done 8/11/18. We did it in reverse, from Trail 483 intersection with FS 2660 up to Blue Box Summit because I did not relish the idea of running across US 26, twice, with summer traffic. Trail is steep at first, and with 3 downed trees and a somewhat sketchy trail that is obviously lightly used (we met no one on the trail), there was a question about how the trail further up would be. It was fine -- a few more downed trees but nothing serious. Trail could use some whacking but is always visible. Summit clearing was sunny -- we bushwhacked the way over to where a viewpoint should be, but with clouds over the mountain, I'm not sure we found the viewpoint. A GPS point would be helpful, if anyone has one. On the way back, we went on down to the lake: the write-up is accurate, in how tragic it is that people have let their toilet paper abound (no one has heard of a trowel?) Lake wasn't "clear" and the bottom is muddy, but generally warm, so worth taking a dunk in.

bobcat

Re: Blue Box Summit to Clear Lake 8-11-18

Post by bobcat » August 17th, 2018, 7:34 am

AGHiker2018 wrote:
August 12th, 2018, 5:13 pm
Summit clearing was sunny -- we bushwhacked the way over to where a viewpoint should be, but with clouds over the mountain, I'm not sure we found the viewpoint. A GPS point would be helpful, if anyone has one.
If you're talking about the summit clearcut, there's no particular spot that stands out. In essence, you just need to walk around until you find a view (several spots, in fact) and, if it's cloudy, you're out of luck!