Gnarl Ridge via Elk Meadows TH 8/8/18

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
dfs1109

Gnarl Ridge via Elk Meadows TH 8/8/18

Post by dfs1109 » August 9th, 2018, 12:06 pm

Went up to Gnarl Ridge starting at the Elk Meadows TH. Conditions where hot with very little breeze. Trail is well marked and easy to follow. Dusty at times, no bugs to worry about except flies. The bridge to cross the Clark was closed due to maintenance. There is a log laying across the creek and just on the other side is a temporary crossing(hard to see from the trail) and it is also marked with pink ribbon. To cross the Newton Creek and to stay dry you need to walk up river a little bit to cross a large log. Views were grand but could have been better if there wasn't smoke in the air.

Garmin 64st:
Dist: 10.8 miles
Elev. Gain/Loss: 2516/2457 ft.

http://gpsfly.org/gps_map.php?gps_id=8374&w=645&h=440

Clark Creek (this bridge is under construction when we went).

Image The log in the distance that crosses the creek is what we used to stay dry while crossing the Newton Creek.

Happy Trails everyone!
Daniel
"Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have our tea first?" Peter Pan

GregHikermon

Re: Gnarl Ridge via Elk Meadows TH 8/8/18

Post by GregHikermon » August 9th, 2018, 4:42 pm

I did the same hike Sunday. There was also a relatively ‘flat 15-20” wide stable log 10-15 yards downstream from where the trail comes out of the woods at Newton Creek. It was lower and required much less balance to cross than I’m guessing the up creek log did. It still had plenty of clearance during the later afternoon creek level . Good they are working on Clark Creek bridge because it has a lot of noticeable dry rot . No real bugs to mention.there are some ripe huckleberries,albeit dusty, along the trail until cross Newton.

pcg

Post by pcg » August 9th, 2018, 7:54 pm

GregHikermon wrote:
August 9th, 2018, 4:42 pm
I did the same hike Sunday. There was also a relatively ‘flat 15-20” wide stable log 10-15 yards downstream from where the trail comes out of the woods at Newton Creek.
I built a cairn here last week and put a log across the trail heading upstream to try to divert people down to that hidden flat log. I generally am not a fan of cairns, but this trail is so popular that I figured what the heck, I'll try to help some folks out. Guess it's not working too well...

Pick-a-Pika

Post by Pick-a-Pika » August 15th, 2018, 4:51 am

The Clark Creek bridge work is done. I was up there yesterday and it looks great.