Razz Lake & Pocket Lake, Wallowas

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
cunningkeith

Razz Lake & Pocket Lake, Wallowas

Post by cunningkeith » August 8th, 2018, 3:20 pm

Some friends and I just finished a trip to the Wallowas and wanted to provide a bit of info on two off-trail routes to Razz and Pocket Lakes. I had posted a few Qs on this last year, and received some very helpful beta from folks here (thanks!):
viewtopic.php?t=25848

Here is some additional info:

Pocket Lake

We took the route to Pocket Lake from the trail above Moccasin Lake on the way to Glacier Pass. The red dot is the approximate exit from the main trail and the red line is the approximate off-trail route. I have heard that there's also a path that leaves from the east end of Moccasin Lake, but we didn't go that way. Instead, we went the Glacier Pass way. Note that we did not follow the outlet stream from Pocket Lake until we were nearly at the lake. Instead, you scramble up a granite boulder field. There is some water flowing alongside the route, but it is well west of the primary outlet stream. This is not an easy scramble.

Route to Pocket Lake

Looking at several drainages from Pocket Lake:

For Razz Lake, the boot path is off the trail above Horseshoe Lake. The yellow X marks the spot where the boot path begins. I marked the following coordinates for this point:

N45° 12.167' W117° 16.576'

The boot path had a cairn that marked it, but it's easy to miss. Once on the boot path, it's pretty straightforward. It's a much easier climb to Razz than the route to Pocket Lake.

Razz Lake Route