South Sister Climb On Friday

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
kirkl23

South Sister Climb On Friday

Post by kirkl23 » July 16th, 2018, 2:35 pm

My wife, 8 years old son and I made our first attempt at climbing South Sister on Friday. Backpacked up to Morraine Lake on Thursday and camped out, and set out early Friday morning. Didn't make it to the top, but still got some great views. Mosquitoes were pretty bad still up to probably about 7500-8000 feet. Tons of butterflies blowing by, that was really an amazing site up there. Here are some pics.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
99.jpg

sgyoung

Re: South Sister Climb On Friday

Post by sgyoung » July 16th, 2018, 3:14 pm

Thanks for sharing. Nice job getting up that high with the family. I hope your son had fun. Also, it's cool to see the butterfly migration documented in so many different trip reports.

This is a bit off topic, but every time I see photos of the Lewis glacier I wonder if it is still an active glacier. I didn't see any evidence of active movement when I was there and every recent picture I find looks like a stagnant snow field. However, if I look up older photos there are obvious crevasses and other signs of activity. Wondering if the glacier has sadly given way to a snow field.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 16th, 2018, 4:03 pm

Nice pictures, nice trip even if you didn't summit, that's a nice place to camp at Moraine Lake

I was at 7300 feet on the east side that day

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 17th, 2018, 6:31 pm

kirkl23 wrote:
July 16th, 2018, 2:35 pm
My wife, 8 years old son and I made our first attempt at climbing South Sister on Friday.
That's great! Love the photos. I've taking the 3rd of my 3 boys there on Monday. It's a rite of passage for us. Bummer to hear about the mosquitoes :(