PCT Timberline South to Barlow Pass

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Ron Goodwin

PCT Timberline South to Barlow Pass

Post by Ron Goodwin » July 14th, 2018, 7:59 am

Had a crew of 9 clear the 17 logs (39 last year and 82 the year before) off the PCT Timberline South to Barlow Pass on Thursday. Hot long day doing tread, waterbars and brushing. Moved the trail over 6 feet at one place where the Salmon River Canyon keeps eroding onto the trail. Four logs with crosscut and the rest with chainsaw until the last log 1 minute from Hwy 35. It was 4pm and we were tired so that last log was across the only switch back on the whole 5.25 mile section. I cut out the upper part with chainsaw and the crew said I had a fuel leak. Stopped and found out the tree was actually leaking water as pooled below the cut and had no smell. That was it for the day as had originally thought that would not get this much and had contacted Pam and Kim Owen to cut the bottom 2 miles. They met us at the trail head and gave them the crosscut saw and tools to cut the bottom part. On Friday morning they got up early to cut and it took them 4 hours to cut through the 25" log as it was hard on the outer 2", punky inside that kept fouling up the teeth and then the moisture made it even worse. A new experience for our crosscut saw trainer.
The section is now clear of logs and met many section hikers going both ways. Amazing how many young ladies are doing the Oregon section this year. One was a mother daughter team as the daughter had just graduated high school and mom got a month off to go with her daughter. Even had a lady on a horse that took the horse out every week to keep it fit for trail riding.
The crew look fresh at the start of the day at Timberline.
7-12-18 a Timberline.jpg
Timberline Lodge

kmcdade

Re: PCT Timberline South to Barlow Pass

Post by kmcdade » July 17th, 2018, 9:01 pm

Thank you for doing this!
--Kathleen. Or K-Mac. As in KMC, because that's what people have taken to calling me here. :-)

Aimless

Post by Aimless » July 18th, 2018, 8:55 am

Yes. Almost every time I hike, at some point during the day, I inwardly bless the trail crews who built it and maintain it.

Titogoeshiking3

Post by Titogoeshiking3 » July 18th, 2018, 10:27 am

What an awesome group to do all that work!

Thanks! :D