Green Canyon Trail July 9th, 2018

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

Green Canyon Trail July 9th, 2018

Post by Don Nelsen » July 10th, 2018, 5:22 pm

Kelly was looking for something she hasn't yet done and that is a real challenge. However, I managed to pull a rabbit out of my hat and come up with something yesterday and both of us were very pleased with the results.

It has been at least twenty years since I'd hiked the Green Canyon on the west side of Hunchback Mountain but I remembered it as a wonderful hike and very scenic. I wasn't disappointed and neither was Kelly as we made our way up this delightfully verdant old-growth forest to the long ridge of Hunchback Mt.

Other hikers: 4, male/female mix 50/50
Forest fires: 1, with a FS crew of 4 tending and finishing up.
7.5 miles RT (To the jct. and back would be 6.9 miles RT)
2,717' EG RT
Temperature: 54-62, moderate wind, some sun, mostly cloudy and some fog/mist

The trail is in moderately good shape but could use some tread work. It is angled down-grade in many places as trails tend to get but most of it is fine. No deadfall/windfall at all so kudos to the crews that have taken care of this. No brush issues at all.

Once at the junction with the trail that follows the crest of Hunchback, I went a few hundred yards both to the north and to the south and there are a lot of BIG trees acroos the trail. I don't know how far the problem extends but what I saw is hard to get across. Pics farther on.

A really nice part of this hike is the huge old-growth giants in the lower elevations along his trail. All are fire scarred from a major event perhaps 150 to 200 years ago judging from the size of the younger trees that are not burned.

A few pics: Sorry about the quality - I forgot to take my camera and had to resort to the cell phone.

On the way up on the lower reaches of the trail:

The trail switchbacks some really steep grades!:

One of the several viewpoints:

Some of the blowdown on the ridge trail to the north of the junction:

Typical trail view on the last mile to the ridge junction:

A section of trail follows and incredible knife-edge ridge:

The fire crew said this was the result of a campfire built on/next to the trail and it was reported the day before. Glad they got it!

The lower elevations of this trail are a true green canyon paradise:

Image[/img]

This tree is about 8 feet in diameter:
Last edited by Don Nelsen on July 11th, 2018, 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

justpeachy

Re: Green Canyon Trail July 9th, 2018

Post by justpeachy » July 10th, 2018, 8:00 pm

the fire crew said this was the result of a campfire built on/next to the trail and it was reported the day before.
Sigh. Seems like many campfire-makers are not very responsible, based on the high number of wildfires that start this way.

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » July 10th, 2018, 9:48 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
July 10th, 2018, 5:22 pm
Once at the junction with the trail that follows the crest of Hunchback, I went a few hundred yards both to the north and to the south and there are a lot of BIG trees acroos the trail. I don't know how far the problem extends but what I saw is hard to get across.
It's really bad for a mile or so then clears out. There's some of the worst sections of down trees I've seen along there. I think there must be some big winds coming over the ridge in the winter. Glad they got that fire put out!
Great hike and thanks for the report!
~Dan

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 16th, 2018, 6:28 am

There are so many cool trails in MHNF. In a perfect world some of those would be cleaned up to take the pressure off of a few of the over used ones.
Thank you for the trip report.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir