Bull of the Woods: Bagby->Twin Lakes->(Almost) Lookout

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Metacomet

Bull of the Woods: Bagby->Twin Lakes->(Almost) Lookout

Post by Metacomet » July 7th, 2018, 7:37 am

Dates: 6/25-27
Milage (approx.): 36mi
Solo Trip
Summary: Trail kind of brutal for the distance required to make to Lookout from Bagby. Twin lakes recommended.

Day 1: Bagby TH to Twin Lakes. Forest to bagby still among the most captivating lushness I've ever seen. Trail in good shape till just a bit after Collowash river crossing. Some moderate overgrowth on trail that left my trail runners pretty soaked. All the rhodedendrons are blooming. Trail leading up to the pass that has the elk lake/twin lakes junction is pretty roughed up. Some damage trail along steep slopes you'll really want to be careful around. Pass has a great view and hike leading down to the lake was very enjoyable. Camped at first twin lakes, the softness of the rich soil here is very enjoyable barefoot.

Day 2: Twin Lakes to (just before) Lookout and back. This section of trail from the lakes to lookout is pretty rough. Fair amount of downed trees. A long section of forest with somewhat heavy overgrowth. Good amount of mosquitoes once past Pansy lakes. I was a lot slower than I had anticipated, and with a thunderstorm rolling in just a mile or so below the lookout tower, I chose to turn back around.

Day 3: Headed back out to parking lot.
20180619_130108.jpg
20180618_185500.jpg
20180618_184632.jpg
20180618_162315.jpg

bobcat

Re: Bull of the Woods: Bagby->Twin Lakes->(Almost) Lookout

Post by bobcat » July 9th, 2018, 1:17 pm

Nice hike, taking in some of the best features of Bull of Woods and avoiding most of the fire-scorched areas. Some day, we'll have to get a crew in to brush out the Bagby Trail leading up to Silver King Lake.