Huckleberry Mountain via Bonanza Trail Hike June 24 2018

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
TwoPaw

Huckleberry Mountain via Bonanza Trail Hike June 24 2018

Post by TwoPaw » June 24th, 2018, 6:43 pm

Arrive at trailhead for Bonanza TR786 about 8am and parked just left of the cable. Nothing about the hike to report that's significantly different than previous TRs or the field guide.

It's one of my favorite day treks in the area. Very quiet with virtually no highway noise or people noise because it's so lightly used. View into the the Wilderness is quite grand - low mountains with no roads or clearcuts, tho this day was quite hazy.

Usual suspects flower wise: emerging bear grass, paintbrush, flowing sedum, pink rhododendron. A snake. Slugs. It's certainly a workout, with the first third almost flat, there's much climbing to be done after that.

Finally hit Boulder Ridge TR783 (that's how it's signed though FS description calls it Plaza) and turned left and continued a short while to a clearing for lunch. After that strolled back north until I had a Mt. Hood view. Then returned to TR786 to get back to the TH. I had thought about the loop down to Wildwood but I've been up & down that side quite a few times and I like the relative remoteness of Bonanza.
IMG_0264.JPG
Attachments
IMG_0265.JPG