Coffin Mountain Lookout - 6/17/18

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
thinair28

Coffin Mountain Lookout - 6/17/18

Post by thinair28 » June 19th, 2018, 10:37 pm

Wanted to find an easy 'summit' to get to on Father's Day with my 3 and 5 year-old kids. Hadn't been to Coffin Mountain yet, but the specs seemed just right to challenge little legs (1.5 miles / 1000 ft gain), but still give us a good chance at making it to the lookout on top.

This was my first time up there. Roads are easy and the drive has great views of Mt. Jefferson and as you approach the trailhead. We were definitely too early for the best display of flowers, but the paintbrush was going strong right as you start walking.

Smattering of other flowers as you get higher. My kids sometimes opted for the harder way. Tried to find the balance of letting them explore, while not trampling fragile off-trail areas.

Trail doesn't have any snow, but there are few small patches nearby once you gain the ridge.

Beargrass is starting to pop up. I think it gets really good here later.

First views of the summit lookout. I read this is staffed through the summer, but it was still boarded up.

We made it!

It was incredible watching rain squalls on all four sides of us, but we somehow stayed in the sun almost the whole day. A few big lightning bolts over the Detroit Lake area was a good nudge to start heading back down.

Another few weeks I imagine this will be full of color.

Happy Trails!
---------------------------------
)><))))> Danny <((((><(
Instagram: @DannyJWarren

Webfoot

Re: Coffin Mountain Lookout - 6/17/18

Post by Webfoot » June 19th, 2018, 10:47 pm

Nice place, and nice report. What camera or method are you using to get such a wide dynamic range, e.g. straight into the sun with beargrass in the foreground?

thinair28

Post by thinair28 » June 19th, 2018, 11:23 pm

Thanks Webfoot. Nikon D750 with a Sigma 15mm fisheye for the beargrass shot, shadows brought up bit in Lightroom afterwards.

That Sigma lens is incredible if anyone is in the market for an ultra-wide full-frame lens. Super crisp and contrasty. Beautiful colors. Liked it better than Nikon/Canon equivalents.
---------------------------------
)><))))> Danny <((((><(
Instagram: @DannyJWarren

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » June 20th, 2018, 6:05 am

You got some really beautiful shots! Yes, the lookout is staffed in summer. I think she typically starts in late June or early July depending on the conditions.

I just got a D750 myself and am having fun playing with it. :D

mtnhiker56

Post by mtnhiker56 » June 20th, 2018, 4:38 pm

Treasure these moments as we may never pass this way again....