Hanan Trail

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
birdhiker

Hanan Trail

Post by birdhiker » June 18th, 2018, 9:06 pm

The Hanan Trail is a historic route Native Americans and the early settlers used to cross through the area that is now on the Fremont Nat Forest. This ancient route follows the Sycan River up to its headwaters then up and over the divide between the Pacific and Great Basin drainages. I started at the Sycan River Trailhead and hiked and birded up to the Bear Creek Rim on Saturday.

To get there, head to La Pine then turn on to Hwy 31 toward Lakeview. There are three access points to the Fremont. East Bay Road in Silver Lake turns into FR 28, which after 40 mi or so takes you to the TH. FR 2901 and FR 29 also leave Hwy 31 farther down the road. These are well maintained gravel roads that take you up to the paved FR 28 and then on to the TH. Below is a photo of the Sycan Marsh from FR 28. The Sycan River flows to here.
IMG_8588.JPG
The trail goes through a mixture of Lodgepole Pine forest, meadows and sagebrush.
IMG_8639.JPG
A few large meadows are along the trail.
IMG_8613.JPG
Here is Alfie reading the sign for the headwaters, the trail is marked with its historic double blaze. There was some blowdown to navigate. They have not cleared trail yet, so just one year's worth of trees.
IMG_8604.JPG
My purpose was to do a bird survey, so I took my time. It took me 4 hrs to get 4.75 miles up the trail to the Bear Creek rim.
IMG_8621.JPG
IMG_8620.JPG
IMG_8628.JPG
IMG_8627.JPG
My idea was to go up the Hanan Tr and then cut down to Bear Creek down in that valley, then head upstream to its headwaters then down a logging road back to my car at the TH. A 12.5 mile loop. I got up here and weather was starting to turn and I was not sure how much blowdown I would face and yada yada, I turned back and went to car over known turf.

I was not sure if I would find a route down to Bear Ck. However when I got to the rim I saw this sign. They DO have a trail down to Bear Creek and the Fremont Trail. It is not on the Fremont web site but I was told by a ranger I met it does appear on some apps you can download. The ranger confirmed he cleared this connecting trail last year.
IMG_8625.JPG
Huck drinking from spring at headwaters.

IMG_8632.JPG
Beautiful area.
IMG_8629.JPG

bobcat

Re: Hanan Trail

Post by bobcat » June 20th, 2018, 3:23 pm

Great to see a report on this trail and a nice time to do it! Any issues with mosquitoes in the marshes?

birdhiker

Post by birdhiker » July 4th, 2018, 9:18 am

Sorry for late reply, a few bugs at trail head the night I camped, they vanished with a breeze kicking in. I spread on some bug juice and no issues on the hike. A few bites here and there but did not bother me.

Peabody

Post by Peabody » July 4th, 2018, 11:46 am

Thanks for the late reply :) , I would have missed the trip report otherwise. I never heard of the Great Basin before so I had fun reading about that on Wikipedia. I'm looking for different hikes outside of my normal NW rain forest / volcanic ruble pile and this looks interesting. Plus you met a ranger on the trail :shock:
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White